Lancaster LM546 crash site Plochingen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jupiter

Airman
Apr 17, 2008
Started this thread on the basic forum and been advised to place it here.
My Grandfathers Lancaster Lm546 part of 625 squadron was shot down on the 28/29/7/44 whilst on a raid on Stuttgart.
Through previous research and help from others i believe he was shot down by Ufftz M.Ullmann of 2/NJG4.
The Lancaster went down in a wooded area near motorway 10 close to Plochingen.All crew survived and spent the rest of the war in POW camps.My grandfather went to Stalag Luft iii .
I would like to know if the exact location is known?
Did any wreckage survived the war?
Are their any eyewittness reports or local records?
and anything else lol:lol:
My own lead so far has been a mention in the book Stuttgart im Luftkrieg 1939-1945.
Contact made with Stuttgart and Esslingen have drawn blanks.
I t has been suggested i contact the Burgemister but my lack of German prevents this.I have tried finding an address but aagain no German makes this hard.
I guess i want to complete the story, i know all the details of the raid, a good idea who shot him down nad which camp he went to.

If any want to add info on Ufftz Ullmann and 2/NJG4 please feel free

Thanks
Pete

I'm sure somebody would help you draft a letter. I'm willing to help, but I'm sure there are people with much better knowledge than my high school German. Many Germans speak English, and I would imagine the Bürgermeister would be one of them, so once initial contact is made, I think you could continue in English.

Chris, that's really good of you. I hope you can find something, as it is due to one of 'Jupiter's' posts that I joined this forum. I'm the guy who painted the picture of his Grandfather's Lanc, which was made into limited edition prints, signed by the four remaining crew members, including Jupiter's Grandfather. (That's it in his avatar) Because of this, I have a bit of a personal interest also.
Thanks for offering to help, and I'm looking forward to any news you can find.
Terry.

Hello came upon this forum by accident and had to join my Dad Norman Jones was flight engineer on LM546 when it was shot down over Stuttgart I think he is the last surviveing member of the crew.

claim info

29.07.44 Uffz. Ullmann 2./NJG 4 4-mot. Flgz. … S.E. Stuttgart: 3.700 m. 02.14 Film C. 2027/II Anerk: Nr.26

"Serial Range LM301 - LM756 This aircraft was one of 350 Lancasters ordered from A.V.Roe (Yeadon) as Mk.IIIs except for the first ten as Mk.Is (LM301- LM310), delivered from Oct42 to Oct44. Mk.I1s had Merlin 20 engines and the Mk.IIIs Merlin 38 engines initially installed. LM546 was delivered to No.625 Sqdn 12 May44. Incomplete operational history. However, it is recorded that LM546 also took part in the Key Operation against Duisburg 21/22 May44 and that when lost against Stuttgart had a total of 103 hours. LM546 was one of two No.625 Sqdn Lancasters lost on this operation. See: LL962 Airborne 2119 28Jul44 from Kelstern. Cause of loss not established. Crashed 0200 29Jul44 in the vicinity of Esslingen. They were all nearing the end of their operational tour.

F/O F.Collett PoW
Sgt N.Jones PoW
F/O J.Stephenson PoW
F/O W.R.Lott PoW
Sgt E.Evison PoW
Sgt L.Naylor PoW
F/S W.A.Peterkin PoW

F/O F.Collett was interned in Camp L3. PoW No.6490 with F/O W.R.Lott, PoW No.6952 and F/O J.Stephenson, PoW No.6964.

Sgt E.Evison in Camp L7, PoW No.515 with F/S W.A.Peterkin, PoW No.480. DFM 14Nov44. Sgt N.Jones, PoW No.461 and Sgt L.Naylor, PoW No.476. "

Lost Bombers - World War II Lost Bombers

Good stuff. See one of the earlier posts regarding cause of loss - hit (by Bf110) after bomb run, engine fire on starboard side (incl fuel tanks), with flames reaching back beyond tail. One undercarriage leg dropped, with tyre on fire. Crew baled out at 10,000 feet.
The aircraft was not the usual one for this crew, although it had been used before, and the pilot in particular (Frank Collett), disliked the nose art and name, "Oozlum Bird".
Here's a pic of the model I built for the pilot's grandson, Peter (Jupiter). A pic of the painting, which brought together the remaining four members of the crew after 47 years, plus a photo of them at that event, can be seen elsewhere on the forum.

Attachments

• Avro, Bomber GB 172.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 172.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 206
Hi nij
Have sent you a pm
The wonders of the web
That's two crew members families I'm now in contact with, a fitting tribute not only to the crew but to the memory of bomber command.
Still trying to get answers from germany re the crash site, the search goes on.
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back