Lancaster tail section (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Versatile

Airman
Jun 3, 2005
I know of a tail section that used to be in a lake in Canada in about 6 ft of water. Most likely the Lancaster restores know about this but i thought i would put it out there in case one is needed.

I think he means you guys should get it surfaced. I dont have a clue what then but euh, yall are smart boys, so find it out!

Recovering a 50 year old piece of metal from 6 feet of water will give you maybe a nice piece to display after some cleanup. But I don't think it could be made airworthy at this point. If the water was real deep or real cold where corrosion wouldn't take effect, you might have something to salvage. I don't know the Canadian law on antiquities or wrecks, but there is probably some legal part as well. Not always cut and dry.

unless of course it just jumped out of the lake and onto your trailor without you knowing, before you drove it all the way home before realising it was there, would that be illegal?

I'm not really sure myself, and if anyone were to attempt a recovery they'd be wise to do some checking, but I suspect it would be perfectly legal. Chances are it's a piece of one of the many Lancasters that were auctioned off to private citizens after the war. As you know, they were sold dirt cheap, usually chopped up, and used for a variety of things (What a sad ending to a great legacy. :rolleyes: ). If so, statutes of limitations on ownership would likely allow it to fall to whomever salvaged it, depending on how long it's been sitting there. It may depend on provincial law. It would help to know what province this was in, but I suspect that it's in one of the central/western provinces like Saskatchewan or Alberta, or possibly Manitoba.
On the other hand, it could well be the remains of a crashed service aircraft. In that case the Department of National Defence would still technically be the owner.

Absolutely. If the remains of the crew are still there, it becomes another whole ball of wax. I doubt that's the case if it's only in six feet of water though, unless it's a recent discovery.

Probably right, but it gives an idea of the number of considerations when recovering wrecks. You also have to worrry about hazardous materials (asbestos, for example) and possible explosives, old fuels and oils. It always sounds pretty easy on the surface. If you get a chance to talk to someone who has actually recovered an old warbird, it is a fascinating subject. I never realized how much there was to consider.

Oh, I have no doubt that it would be quite an undertaking, especially if it is an actual RCAF wreck. That's when DND would have to get involved to ensure that there was no old ordinance, fuel, etc. left around.

at the newark air museum they have a section of lancaster fusalage that was used as a garden shed until the museum got it, hopefully this is a pic

Attachments

• newark_air_museum_007_957.jpg
    newark_air_museum_007_957.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 529
Yep for example,

[photos-www.adf-serials.com]

Attachments

• dornier_do24k_148.jpg
    dornier_do24k_148.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 559
  • martin_pbm_mariner_151.jpg
    martin_pbm_mariner_151.jpg