Lancaster wing? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Definitely a Halifax. In the first image in the original post, what appears to be one of the doors for the wing root bomb cells is clearly visible also.
The unique undercart casting, the shape and "thickness" of the wing airfoil, the aileron or flap, and the "slab-sided" fuselage section all point to a Halifax.

Thank you, and you're very welcome. I'm trying to help someone in Canada whose great uncle was 2nd pilot on a Lancaster which was supposed to have crashed in this spot near where I now live in Germany. It was, in fact a Halifax 2 W1109 LQ -S which crashed 1 August 1942 a week after the Lancaster i am trying to locate. Which now still remains a mystery. best, Paul

Others have ascertained the photo shows a Halifax and I defer to their judgement. I think a bigger issue is the provenance of the photo and the uncertainty as to the correct date of the photo as well as the exact location of the crash site. Delving into the records as to whether there were survivors from the crash would be helpful. I might suggest contacting Theo Boiten or Rod MacKenzie (Nactjagd War Diaries). They may be able to provide a possible identification of the aircraft. They have updated their books to include details on claims from flak batteries.

Jim

Others have ascertained the photo shows a Halifax and I defer to their judgement. I think a bigger issue is the provenance of the photo and the uncertainty as to the correct date of the photo as well as the exact location of the crash site. Delving into the records as to whether there were survivors from the crash would be helpful. I might suggest contacting Theo Boiten or Rod MacKenzie (Nactjagd War Diaries). They may be able to provide a possible identification of the aircraft. They have updated their books to include details on claims from flak batteries.

Jim
Thnank you for your suggestions. I'm already getting touch with T Boiten. If there is one thing I am sure about it is the origin of the photos, the date and the location, so iam taking things from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back