Last air combats of ww2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pattern14

Airman 1st Class
Jul 12, 2013
While I was looking for some info for ANZAC day comming up in April ( 100 years this year), I came across some conflicting reports about the final air battles of WW2. While you could probably assume that the last encounters were between the handfull of remaining Me 262's and the FW Ta 152, I would be keen to find out if any one has some factual evidence of the March/ April 1945 final clashes. Heinz Bar reportedly shot down a P47 in April with his 6 cannon 262, and I believe another 262 possibly rammed a B17 called "The towering Titan", although this appears unsubstantiated. The Ta 152's also downed some Russian fighters over Berlin as well. Anybody knows who got the final shots in?

Gerhard Thyben shot down a Red Navy Pe-2 on 8 May with his Fw190, while escaping to Kiel (with his crew chief stowed away in the luggage compartment).

Fritz Stehl downed a Soviet P-39 over Kliny, flown by Sergey Stepenov (KIA) with his Me262 while escaping to Fassberg on 8 May.

There was also the encounter on 8 May, of an L-4 flown by Duane Francis who engaged a Fi156, forcing it down with small arms fire.

I don't have the times of these encounters handy, as I am not at my computer at the moment...

Also Hartmann claimed a Yak 9 on 5/5/45
Additionaly i read years ago, that may have been clashes between LW and soviet aircraft even after 8/5/45.German pilots were trying to reach the anglosaxon occupeid areas while the soviet aircraft were strafing the german refuges

The Hatmann claim over the YaK-9 was certainly made for 8 May, however, there has been some questions about that, as they cannot find any confirmatipon for a lost Soviet aircraft in that area.

Yes i typed wrong. It was 8/5/45
Of course there are questions about this victory. And most of hartmann s victories. Today , soviet "researchers" credit Hartmann with 40-50 kills. And their highest ace ,with 120 "secret victories"........

i dont doubt hartmann got several hundred kills....especially with his style of fighting. he didnt dogfight but got in so close that many time debris from his victims damaged his aircraft. he didnt take a shot, see the plane smoking and then fly away. the eastern front made 100+ kill aces out of more than a few lw pilots. whether he had 352 will always be a source of debate but at this stage of the game does it really matter? is there someone with 350/351 who would then become top dog if one or 2 of his were eliminated? i go with the NFL replay rules. unless there is some concrete evidence to overturn his claim, it remains as it stands.

Yes i typed wrong. It was 8/5/45
Of course there are questions about this victory. And most of hartmann s victories. Today , soviet "researchers" credit Hartmann with 40-50 kills. And their highest ace ,with 120 "secret victories"........

Didn't type it wrong from my point of view and of all of us here in England 8/5/45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back