Last combat mission for WW2 era fighters?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by racerguy00, Oct 25, 2009.

1. racerguy00

racerguy00 Member

I was just wondering if anybody knows when the last combat or even non-combat operational miliary mission by a WW2 era fighter was flown? I know the Central American "Soccer War" was in 1969. And I know about some non-fighter aircraft like the Dakota "Puff the Magic Dragon" gunship in Vietnam. (My dad was a witness to it's effectiveness from a safe distance).

What about any Soviet bloc planes in 3rd world airforces? It would seem like it would be possible for a plane like that to at least serve as a trainer in some out of the way part of the world later than 1969.

Sorry if this has been covered before.

2. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    Here is what I can find about last combat for particular aircraft.

F4U Corsair - 1969 "Soccer War" (This was also the last combat period piston engined fighters.)

P-51 Mustang - 1964 Dominican Air Force during Operation Power Pack. (The P-51 was used by the Dominican Airforce until the 1984.)

P-47 was used by the Peruvian Air Force until 1966, but I am not sure about combat.

Spitfire - 1948 Arab Israeli War and Malayan Emergency (however the Spit served until the 1960s)

Bf 109 - 1948 Arab Israeli War (however were used in Spain until the 1960s.)

3. Colin1

Colin1 Active Member

Engineer and overgrown schoolboy
    P-63s fought for the French in Indo-China in the early 50s.
    These were eventually replaced with another WWII veteran, the F6F as well as its sister, the F8F.

4. Tzaw1

Tzaw1 Member

Home Page:
    Suez Crisis 1956. A plenty of piston engined fighters. Israeli Mustangs, French Corsairs and so on...

5. FLYBOYJ

FLYBOYJ "THE GREAT GAZOO"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft Maintenance Manager/ Flight Instructor
    The Dominican AF flew P-51s in the 1980s and I'm sure did some COIN work with them.

6. syscom3

syscom3 Pacific Historian

#6 syscom3, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    The F8F Bearcat flew throughout the 1950's with the Royal Thai AF, French AF (in Vietnam) and then South Vietnamese AF. I believe the Bearcat was still doing fighter-bomber sorties as late as 1964.

The A-26 Invader (postwar the B-26) soldiered on for quite some time. 1969 was the last mission in SE Asia. Nigeria used them in 1967 in one of their civil wars. Portugal in 1965 in Angola. They also saw action in 1961 at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba.

Indonesia B26 info from wiki; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-26_Invader
    In 1958, the CIA started Operation Haik in Indonesia, concerned about the Sukarno regime's communist leanings. At least a dozen B-26 Invaders were committed in support of rebel forces. On 18 May 1958, American contract pilot Allen Pope's B-26 was initially hit by anti-aircraft ground fire and then brought down by a P-51 Mustang flown by Capt. Ignatius Dewanto (the only known air-to-air kill in the history of the Indonesian Air Force). The capture and trial of Lieutenant Pope brought a quick end to Operation Haik, but the capabilities of the Invader were not lost on the Indonesian government. In 1959, the government purchased six aircraft at Davis-Monthan AFB and these were ferried to Indonesia in full military markings during mid-1960. These aircraft would have a long career and were utilized in a number of actions against rebels in various areas. The last operational flights of the three survivors was in 1976 supporting the Indonesian invasion of East Timor. In 1977, the last two flyers were retired.

7. Thorlifter

Thorlifter Well-Known Member

IT Nerd
    Cool information. I had heard/read most of this before but I didn't know the Spitfire served that late. Interesting.....

8. vikingBerserker

vikingBerserker Well-Known Member

Korporate Kontrolleur
    P-80's were used in South American at least until the mid 70's

If we can include the trainer version (which flew after WW2), Bolivia I believe is still using their T-33's

9. mhuxt

mhuxt Active Member

Add the Mosquito to that list.

10. renrich

renrich Active Member

real estate
    In the book by Barrett Tillman about the Corsair, he says nine Corsairs were still operational in 1978 in Honduras but I don't know of any combat at that date.

11. racerguy00

racerguy00 Member

Thanks for all the info. I'm thinking of doing a model of a Corsair or Mustang, with a paint scheme consistant with with one used during their last known operational sortie. This gives me a good starting point for some further research.