Last Night Launch of the Space Shuttle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
Many of us have followed the Space Shuttle since it was on the drawing board. We cheered at the triumphs and wept at the disasters. I'm proud to say that I was present at the launch of STS-130, the final night launch. The attached pic is just from my cell phone, I didn't want to futz with cameras; the moment was far too precious. Instead I stared at the fiery beast through binoculars so that it would be seared into my brain.

Scratch another off my bucket list

This isnt my video, i was closer but it gives you an idea how she turns night into day:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jISagq2Uko

:salute:

Attachments

• iphone shut.jpg
    iphone shut.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 491
Very cool comiso!

Many years ago I was able to watch a shuttle launch live while at Disney World. Came running out of the Polynesian Resort early in the morning to see it go up.

TO

I think it is a sad moment for all us soace nuts. NASA, for all its faults was the beacon that led the way in space exploration for so long. I fear that the changes being made post shuttle, whilst making eminent economic sense, is the death knell of frontier focussed space exploration.

NASA should get a name change to refelct its new role. I would suggest the American Space Agency

If I had my way, the Space Shuttle replacement would have been a scaled down version. Just like what NASA wanted before the military put in the payload and volumetric requirements to get their backing.

If I had my way, the Space Shuttle replacement would have been a scaled down version. Just like what NASA wanted before the military put in the payload and volumetric requirements to get their backing.

I would agree only if the shuttle could land under powered flight (which would be extremely difficult).

As much as I love the Shuttle program, I think its something that sounded better on paper. Its on time launch record is HORRENDOUS. Often due to the weather in Florida and the emergency landing sites in France and Spain. The Russian's have a MUCH better reliability record simply cause they dont have to adhere to stringent launch criteria.

Weather for a Shuttle launch has to be near perfect because she needs to glide to safety in case of an aborted flight. A conventional rocket/capsule just deploys a parachute and falls to Earth.

This was my 4th attempt to see a Shuttle launch.. the previous 3 were canceled because of marginal weather. Its freakin expensive to Fuel and defuel the ship and to keep crews on station for the week it takes to launch the beast.

SPACE.com -- The History of Shuttle Launch Delays

For every one-day scrub when a shuttle mission is called off after its external tank has been loaded with fuel, NASA spends about $1.3 million, said NASA spokeswoman Candrea Thomas. Paying for the wasted liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen propellants costs about $500,000, and $700,000 goes toward paying personnel, she said.

One of the coolest parts is the u could see the solid rocket boosters seperate 28 miles high!

I have never made a launch. In 1979, I skipped school so I could see the Enterprise. It was the first space shuttle visit to Houston. I was in Civil Air Patrol at the time and was able to get behind the ropes. Some of my favorite slides are of the Enterprise riding the 747 in for a landing. If I ever get the slides transferred to digital, I will post a couple.

DBII

I'm happy to say I've seen the Shuttle land twice at Edwards AFB..

Double sonic boom!

Visually, I wonder how a shuttle night launch compares to a Saturn V night launch? It wouls be nice to have light meter readings from 5 mi away for both.

The aluminum in the shuttle boosters burns VERY bright.

i would have loved to see a Saturn V launch. When I was little, I followed every Apollo mission.

DBII

Ive seen three launches in person.

Two Ariane-4's in French Guiana and one Titan-4 from the Cape.

After 3 attempts and 1 success, I have it dialed in now SYS... you have 3 more chances to catch the mother of all launches..

When I was a teenager, we lived in south Florida. When the shuttles were launched, we could see the contrails as it headed up. It was always neat to watch. So far away, but we could still see it, not often though weather, clouds, school, being on vacation... etc. got in the way sometimes.

There was a perfect day though. Sunny, clear day down the east coast of Florida, no school (not sure why... can't remember). One guy went around and knocked on doors- "Hey, the shuttle's going up!" So all us neighborhood kids ran outside to see.

It was Tuesday, January 28th, 1986. I was 15. It was the Challenger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back