Late 1/48 Bf 109 Kit Recommendations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
No late 109's in my stash but would like to do one some day. What's good in 1/48, n case I run into one and it jumps into my arms?

the two late 109's, K-4 and yellow 7 i have done are both Revell Andy, pretty basic but look pretty good to me.

if you get the K-4 kit it still has all the G-10 bits so you can build either version !

I have built every '109 out there, and 1/48 is my scale. I have to agree that the old Revell "G" is a fine basic kit and can be scratched into a perfectly acceptable "K" with some effort. Although the fit of the canopy takes some fiddling and shimming.The Acadamy late "K" is good also and has, IIRC, the inner gear doors and tall tail wheel. The "G-14"'s that I have done were Hasegawa and Fujimi, I would recomend the Hasegawa over the Fujimi, they both require scratching cockpit details, (pretty much as all '109's) but the Fujimi is too fat in the cross section and looks weird when veiwed from any angle except straight side on. So it comes down to Hasegawa and Acadamy for more expensive kits and a Revell for penny pinching, but as they all require some work, (that you are well capable of), those would be my recomendations.
BTW, the Hobbycraft line is great for early '109's.

Last edited:
Yep, Hobbycraft '109's are, for the early ones, the best out there. They all require work, although not as much as the latest one you have done, but the basic shapes are bang-on and they measure out correctly. I have done the "A", "B", "C", "D", and a couple of "E"'s, all Hobbycraft. The "E"'s are closer than the Tami/gawa offerings as well as the early Monogram '109! (Although the Mono '109 has a very special place in my heart!) Stay away from the Fujami '109's, they are funky looking.
I have a hard time remembering all the 1/48 '109's I have built, the "E"s alone number into the teens. Always was my favorite.

Last edited:
The hasegawa kit is by far the best of the group, G-10 or K-4 versions, the revell for it's age still stacks up as a real good base kit.

I have to say the original Fujimi G kit was rather ordinary, but their later series are pretty reasonable giving you lots of extra bits depending on which ones you get hold of....

Paul, what are the canopies like on the Hobbycraft E-3 and E-4 ? I've built a couple of the Academy '109s, including a 'Buchon', which were ex-Hobbycraft, and the canopies were fine - clear and thin - unlike some of their other early kits.
I'm thinking of adding a couple more E-3s and E-4s to my BoB line-up, and the HC kits are a lot cheaper !

Loved the 1/48 Hasegawa K-4 that I did, great wee kit, never any problems at all. Also have the Fujimi G-6 (I think) and three Hasegawa E's, but those I left back in Sweden, brought my Dragon Ta 152 H-1 with me back though...after my last holiday there.

Paul, what are the canopies like on the Hobbycraft E-3 and E-4 ? I've built a couple of the Academy '109s, including a 'Buchon', which were ex-Hobbycraft, and the canopies were fine - clear and thin - unlike some of their other early kits.
I'm thinking of adding a couple more E-3s and E-4s to my BoB line-up, and the HC kits are a lot cheaper !
IIRC, they were a touch thick, compaired to some of the newer stuff. Usable to be sure, they are not too bad, and a dip in future is always adviseable.

Thanks Paul. Think I might try one of their E-4s or E-7s (can obtain one from a place I know, at under £10 !!), as I have a spare canopy. For the E-3 I'll give the Airfix kit a try - seems good, from what I've seen and read, although they modelled the E-4 canopy in the combined kit from the RAF Museum example - which is fitted with a 'G' type opening section, taken from a 'Buchon' spare from the BoB movie!

I did the Fujimi K-4 and it was allright nothing too special, very similar to Hobbycraft.

I'm currently going to do a Hobbycraft G-4 and it isn't a bad kit, I've got some bits and stuff to add to her for the cockpit. The instrument panel will be a challenge since it fits the kit exactly, and adding anything extra won't give much room to fit the panel into the airframe itself.

The Hobbycraft stuff look ok, havn't paired them up to blueprints yet. :S

Those Hobbycraft '109 kits released under the Academy and Italeri labels I have (Buchon and G-6) are excellent - nicely done surface detail, clean mouldings and adequate internal detail, with quite a few extra parts.

The Hobbycraft early G that I built had a strange looking supercharger intake which I replaced with a spare Hasegawa one. I don't like having to do that kind of stuff and prefer better accuracy if the price is reasonable.

That reminded me, I have a Buchon in the Academy stable, I should dig her out and check if she has any gun pods for my G-4 :D

The only thing about hobbycraft and academy that I hate, is their canopy, 99% of the time its scratched, I'm close to de-scratching canopies but till that time, its a pain to buy a new kit and have scratches on the canopy :D

I still need to physically sit with someone and them show me the method, since everything I try hasn't worked so far. :S I've spent probobly 48 hours just sanding and polishing one of my spare P-51 canopies :S should it take that long?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back