Late to 1946.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Melonfish

Airman
Sep 12, 2012
Warrington, UK
Chaps,
I had the original IL-2 and loved it, but recently doing some plane builds i got a hankering to play it again, so i went out and got a decent joystick and then found it won't install on win7 (boo!) so got 1946 from steam, 1 day before they pulled it...
anyways i've got 4.09m and i'm about to patch it up to 4.11.1
now my next question is, what mods should i now run to get the most out of flyable and shoot-atable (not even a word) planes.
i know COD is out but my pc will look at that and shoot itself in the cpu before running it (upgrading soon)
so i would appreciate your suggestions :D
thanks
Pete

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 will work on a Windows 7 machine without buying it from Steam. Mission4Today* is a good site to get information about how to install it properly. It is also a great place for user made campaigns and skins for the stock and modded version of the sim.
Mission4Today: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php

You have to be careful how high you patch depending on the mod pack you use. Some are not compatible with the later Daidalos Team Updates.
Mission4Today › Knowledge Base › Modding for beginners: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=654
Just one of the many articles in our Knowledge base regarding mods and the stock version of the sim.

One of the better known modding sites.
Special Aircraft Service: http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php

If you have problems with the Steam version of the sim and you can't make the original version work another option is to buy it from Good old Games.
IL-2 Sturmovik?: 1946 - GOG.com: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946
(So far no one I have told to buy it from GoG has been unable to use the GoG version on a Windows 7 machine.)

I can almost guarantee you will have problems with the Steam version at some point. The problems are not unfixable but they can be annoying if you don't know why something doesn't work.
Mission4Today › Knowledge Base › Missing Folders in the Steam version of IL-2 1946: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=628

Wheels

*I am an admin at Mission4Today.

I agree with wheelsup. You should be able to install a box copy of 1946 in a Windows 7 machine. You'll need to mess with the security settings a bit. Just follow the instructions at the Mission4Today link he mentioned. I also agree that you might have problems upgrading and modding the the Steam version.

You can downloadindividual mods or opt for a mod pack. If you're like me and not super confident messing with file structures in the game folder, you might try a mod pack, such as HSFX or UltraPack (UP). HSFX installs directly over the 4.11.1 patch; I'm not sure about UP. In addition to giving you gobs of new planes and maps for full mission building not in the official releases, you will be truly amazed what the mods do to the game's appearance and sound. It's almost like a brand new game.

Whatever you do, make sure you create a copy of your vanilla 4.11.1 game as a backup. You can mess things up with mods and it's a real pain having to go all the way back at the box game and work forward.

I agree with wheelsup. You should be able to install a box copy of 1946 in a Windows 7 machine. You'll need to mess with the security settings a bit. Just follow the instructions at the Mission4Today link he mentioned. I also agree that you might have problems upgrading and modding the the Steam version.

You can downloadindividual mods or opt for a mod pack. If you're like me and not super confident messing with file structures in the game folder, you might try a mod pack, such as HSFX or UltraPack (UP). HSFX installs directly over the 4.11.1 patch; I'm not sure about UP. In addition to giving you gobs of new planes and maps for full mission building not in the official releases, you will be truly amazed what the mods do to the game's appearance and sound. It's almost like a brand new game.

Whatever you do, make sure you create a copy of your vanilla 4.11.1 game as a backup. You can mess things up with mods and it's a real pain having to go all the way back at the box game and work forward.

aha perfic! see i was having a read this weekend and UP and HSFX did crop up, i'm all patched to 4.11.1m so i'll make a copy of my steam folder before i mod.
are these mod files best used with a mod enabler like JGSME? i've used this previously for the silent hunter series of games and it works very well, in fact i use it for pretty much all my modded games.
pete

HSFX is a way to go, since unfortunatly UP is almost no development in any future, and most of servers are now HSFX
JSMGE comes with HSFX, and after 6.012 you need to have HSFX autoupdate (well you need to download it) and that is it :)

well spent all night downloading, installed this morning and ran the program, i had to get the direct to drive patch from SAS first also as i have the steam vers.
anyway ran this morning.... nothing.
then realised its JGSME lol hadn't yet applied it.
will be testing tonight and getting the auto updater too :D

I guess you used the JGSME to get everything you wanted added and everything worked out OK for ya?

yes, i am now happy flying away in every conceivable plane possible.
i've got to admit i'm a big fan of the early p40's very flyable, the 109's also, i've finally learned how to stop my engine turning to molten metal within a minute or two and i'm enjoying the use of cannon :D

i'm still learning major manouvres, watching people do loop the loops is frustrating because when i pull up it just bleeds speed and i stall and end up having to do an immelman of sorts using the rudder but i'm getting there :D
cheers ;)
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back