Late war P-51D data block stencilling

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all,
As some guys on here may have read, I'm doing a P-51D double build, and thanks to Ozhawk, managed to get hold of a photo of one of the subjects I'm building (Lt Harold Whitmore's QI G 'the Lord is my Shepherd'). on this aircraft and quite a few others of the 356th FG,mostly late war machines, I've noticed that there are no stencilled-on aircraft data blocks (the stencil with the aircraft's AAF Project Number,Serial etc found stencilled just below the fwd left hand side windshield on the fuselage). Another notable P-51D that lacked this stencil was the 356th FG's PI J named 'Lullaby for a Dream'.

Now my question is,did some aircraft get delivered from the factorywithout this info stencilled on? Was this stencil removed in the field?

Any info would be most welcome,as the Aeromaster decals I have,while having a beautiful profile drawing of this aircraft,show it with the data block stencil,but the photo Ozhawk sent seems to lack the data stencil...?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've had a look at all the pics of this Group's P51s from the late war period, and they all have the data block. Due to lighting and contrast, some don't show up to well.
I can't be positive, but if you look closely at the pic Peter posted,between the 'Y' of 'My' and in the loop of the 'S' of Shepherd', there seems to be something there, though feint. I think the nose art has been painted across the data block, and it is in direct line with the wording.

Thanks...i think i MAY see something there...it would make sense for the data block stencil to be there,and i've seen quite a few mustangs with nose art covering part of this stencilling,so yes,it's possible!

PS: you have really sharp eyes airframes! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back