Launching the Me 163?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
Did they ever try to launch the Me 163 from a ramp or catapult? Seems like it would have saved a lot of trouble.

No messing with the wheels, If a catapult were used, there would be more fuel for flight time.

Perhaps the initial acceleration of the engine was too great?

I know they launch manned V-1 rockets from such devices... not always successfully.

Don't have an answer to your question but I was thinking, what a rush it would be to fly in one. A really fast roller coaster take-off. That is if you aren't killed by some mishap....

I think they didn't use a ramp or catapult to launch the Me 163 because A.Lippisch used for this project an idea of a glider without a tail.Besides the rocket engine power of Comet was under pilot's control after it had been started so it was possible to take off from an airfield using classic undercarriage.According to this consumption of the fuel didn't matter.The V-1 rocket missile was powered with a pulse engine which needed an air to work properly.Having no axial compressors of its engine the V-1 had to be launched with a catapult in order to get the air movment in the engine.But it is my opinion only.

I think they didn't use a ramp or catapult to launch the Me 163 because A.Lippisch used for this project an idea of a glider without a tail.Besides the rocket engine power of Comet was under pilot's control after it had been started so it was possible to take off from an airfield using classic undercarriage.According to this consumption of the fuel didn't matter.The V-1 rocket missile was powered with a pulse engine which needed an air to work properly.Having no axial compressors of its engine the V-1 had to be launched with a catapult in order to get the air movment in the engine.But it is my opinion only.

Well, I know you're right about the V-1; the PDE on the V-1 was, essentially, a low-tech ramjet, so it had to have some airflow to begin with before it would work properly (or at all).

If anybody is curious about how the PDE on the V-1 worked, I could probably give a reasonable explaination . . . .

Wurger nailed it. There was no need to use such a ramp.

Also, it seems there are still a few guys who believe the Komet was an accident waiting to happen. Most stories about exploding Komets or pilots being incinerated in their seats are just that, stories! Once operational, the Komet proved to be one of the safest fighter aircraft of the German Luftwaffe.

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back