LesOfPrimus' IL2 Video Clips....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Watching your last video was very intresting. I dont know how much intrested you are of the war in the pacific, but what about either the Battle of Midway or the Marianas turkey shoot. Me personally I would say Marianas Turkey Shoot.

I thought this was intresting and might make a good video of him attacking the 2 Me-262's. I found this while doing research for my speech paper on the P-51.

Second Lieutenant Urban Drew began World War Two as a flight instructor, in seven months flying 700 hours in P-51 "Mustangs", while his cadets out had all of 60 hours in the P-51. After making an 'accidental' low pass over a parade of Army troops headed for the Far East, Drew got his chance for combat with a transfer just after D-Day to the 361st Fighter Group, which was flying ground support to Patton's Third Army. Drew flew 76 missions with the 361st (and 6 air victories), and says his hours of training gave him confidence he might not have had otherwise. Drew says when he got to Europe, five kids in his group were pilots he'd trained and were already aces. Some were Captains and Majors yet they still called 2nd Lt. Drew, "Sir."

It was on a mission in October, 1944 that Drew first saw a German jet. Drew pursued the aircraft in what proved to be a futile chase. All he could do was fire his guns at a distance, to no avail, while the jet outran his Mustang. Wanting to know more about the Me 262, Drew contacted his intelligence officers, who said they could not divulge secret information. From British intelligence, he found out, among other things the new jets were based at Achmer and at Lechfeld, Germany. On a mission soon there after, Drew shot down an Bf-109. Performing a victory roll before landing, Drew was grounded for the maneuver. He and his squadron mate Billy Kemp, who'd also been grounded, were in their billet starting a bottle of bourbon, when Drew's squadron commander came in. "Put the bottle away" he said, because we're going on a mission to Brux, Czechoslovakia. There are Me 262s operating in the area, and you know more about them than anybody in this squadron. So, you're leading the mission."

October 7th. Drew was flying with wingman McCandless when he spotted the German airbase at Achmer and went down for a look. Two Schwalbe's were just taking off when Drew dived on them, McCandless keeping right with him. The first Me 262 exploded when hit by the .50s of "Detroit Miss". Drew says he was surprised when the second Me 262 tried to climb away, allowing him to turn inside and shoot away the jet's control surfaces. When Drew returned to base, he found that not only had his wingman failed to return after being hit by flak following Drew's victories, but the gun camera also failed. Only after the war did Drew learn his wingman had survived.

More than 40 years later, an Air Force clerk noticed Drew's claim for two Me-262 victories on the same mission. She contacted a custodian of German war records, who knew former Luftwaffe pilots who might be able to shed light on the claim. Georg-Peter Eder had been set to lead the Me-262s of JG 7 that day, but when his aircraft had problems taking off the two-ill-fated pilots took off to lead JG 7. Eder says he saw a yellow-nosed P-51 dive on the Me 262s and shoot them down. Eder couldn't read "Detroit Miss" on the nose of the Mustang, but his account was sufficient to confirm Drew's two Me-262 victories.

Here are some pictures of Detroit Miss. I think the original P-51 had white tails or natural finish though.
44-73877_10_jj3.jpg

44-73877_09_jj3.jpg

a1c778a5fcc5878261aa469e7153f60f.jpg

DETROIT_MISS_lowres_preview.jpg

August 25th 1944, Lake Schall. Urban Drew flying his P-51 Detroit Miss, destroys a Blohm and Voss 238, the largest aircraft to fly during WWII.
Abigvictory.jpg

Thanks razor, glad to see u back...

The next video Im currently working on, per Beau's suggestion, involves the Bf109G-6 and Erich Hartmann.... Heres the write-up:

Feb 26th 1944, Soviet Ukraine...
Hartmann and wingman take off at 11:30 to free hunt after a busy morning that saw him knock down 2 P-39N Aircobras at 9:08 and 9:16...

At 11:45, they run into a huge gaggle of Aircobras over a small town, some strafing with a top cover... Attack mode engaged...

He ends up bagging 5 more Aircobras, from 11:45-12:03....

Then, in the afternoon, he gets 3 more P-39's at 14:40, 14:45 and 14:50 for a total of 10 enemy aircraft shotdown in one day...

This video will showcase his 5 kills, which were victory numbers 195, 196, 197, 198, and 199... Music will be from Five Finger Death Punch...

Dan, just watched the Hellcat vid - great job!! Love that B/W old movie reel section!

An idea Beau.....

Maybe hans Joachim Marseillies and one of his multiple days? I seem to recall he shot down 5 P-40s from a Luftberry circle that was amazing to watch according his wingman who watched from afar.

Thanks alot Chris....

Too late for Beaus' mission Chris, as Im already halfway through the Hartmann/109G-6 Video....

Its set in the mountains of Northern Czechoslovakia to give the footage alittle extra pop.... And it does... I also did something historically innacurate aircraftwise on purpose to offer up someone else who is detail oriented the opportunity to offer up a selection for the next video...

Thanks alot Chris....

Too late for Beaus' mission Chris, as Im already halfway through the Hartmann/109G-6 Video....

Its set in the mountains of Northern Czechoslovakia to give the footage alittle extra pop.... And it does... I also did something historically innacurate aircraftwise on purpose to offer up someone else who is detail oriented the opportunity to offer up a selection for the next video...

oohhhhhhhh (rubs hands together)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back