Leuchtstrasse

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tkaniuka

Airman
Dec 11, 2015
Hello,

Not radar but visual navigation. There were as many of you know "lighted highways" that were illuminated paths from select airfields in Germany. There were about 10 such paths. I was searching for more information on the lighting equipment used for these paths. One reference I have called for searchlights being used while another with pictures showed various styles of beacons. In fact I have not been able to find any illustrations or pictures on the use of searchlights but the term schweinfeuer (sic) which is translated into headlights and is the name used for searchlights. So the confusion is pictures of various light beacons and the name of searchlights, any information would be helpful.

Last edited:
Are you sure that's the "Schweinfeuer" but not the "Scheinwerfer" - a searchlight.

AK_WH_Reflektor_A searchlight.jpg

AK_WH_Reflektor_B searchlight.jpg

the source: the Internet

I was always taught 1) acknowledge your mistakes - which I have done - twice, and 2) if you have nothing of value to say keep your thoughts to your self (maybe you should learn this).

Scheinwerfer, literally "light thrower", can be used in a variety of ways. So, while it refers to headlights on a car, it also means searchlight, or spotlight. So using it in the context of light beacons is perfectly normal, though a more correct term would be Leuchtfeuer.
[edit] which may be what triggered the whole Schweinfeuer thing, misremembering and combining the two terms.
Anyway, good luck on your research.

Last edited:
Scheinwerfer, literally "light thrower", can be used in a variety of ways. So, while it refers to headlights on a car, it also means searchlight, or spotlight. So using it in the context of light beacons is perfectly normal, though a more correct term would be Leuchtfeuer.
[edit] which may be what triggered the whole Schweinfeuer thing, misremembering and combining the two terms.
Anyway, good luck on your research.
...and we kind of have a thing for bacon here.

Hello, I don't have time just now to to research and properly prepare this post, but I thought the photos and links might help. If you cannot read German, sites such as deepl[.]com and translate[.]google[.]com provide pretty good translations of pasted text and even entire sites.

Luftwaffe radar types recognitio
"The Schwerer Leuchtfuer, which rotated with 15 RPM, and two other types of rotating beacons, for ease of reference Type 1 and 2. It is evident from the pictures and the KTB of II JK, that some if not all of these beacons were mobile".
LF01.jpg

LF02.jpg

Befeuerte Nachtflugstrecken
LF03.jpg

This site includes three pages of a brochure describing the mobile unit with extendable mast, etc.
SLF_Page_2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back