Libyan faithfully tends graves of foreign World War II dead (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I saw this in todays LA Times.
picture.jpg

Salah Fatour performs sacred duties once carried out by his father at the Benghazi War Cemetery. He has maintained the Allied resting place for 25 years, and now amid Libya's own war.

Libya cemetery: Libyan faithfully tends graves of foreign World War II dead - latimes.com

Thanks for sharing Syscom. The CWGC does an outstanding job around the world but the situation in Libya (and some other countries) makes it very difficult to maintain a number of the graves of our war dead. I salute this gentleman - he could teach many people in wealthier nations, who don't have the challenges he faces day-to-day, about duty, dedication and devotion!:salute:

Last edited:
While I think it is a great thing he is doing, I wonder the LA times motivation. We are supporting the rebels there, and their main city is Benghazi. If there is something like that in Tripoli, would we hear about it?

Valid point, Evanglider. There are 2 CWGC cemetaries in Tripoli but, if we take the LA Times story at face value, presumably the staff tending those sites are being paid because the contractor who organises such things is stuck in Tripoli.

I had to laugh at the article, though - "Brits and Scots"...err Scots are Brits. Ho hum...

I had to laugh at the article, though - "Brits and Scots"...err Scots are Brits. Ho hum...

Well yes,it seems like a silly mistake to us but more importantly the article does give an idea of just how many nationalities lie there. I was unaware that people from outside the Empire/Commonwealth were buried in these cemetaries.
Steve

Freebird,

That's the whole point...Mr Fatour has not been paid because the civil war has prevented payments from reaching him, and yet he's continued tending the graves.

Freebird,

That's the whole point...Mr Fatour has not been paid because the civil war has prevented payments from reaching him, and yet he's continued tending the graves.

What other options does he have?
He knows that he WILL be paid, in full, sometime in the future. (safe as the Bank of England, as they say :) )

He could just refuse to work until he gets paid - there are plenty of people in Europe and N. America for whom that would be the only response they'd consider. "What? Work and not get paid? No way!" etc etc etc.

And, with a civil war going on, what is his guarantee that the winning side will start making his payments again, much less make good on back-payments? He has no guarantees.

buffnut453
He could just refuse to work until he gets paid - there are plenty of people in Europe and N. America for whom that would be the only response they'd consider. "What? Work and not get paid? No way!" etc etc etc.

Yeah I know, it happened to me and I ended up getting burned. :evil:

And, with a civil war going on, what is his guarantee that the winning side will start making his payments again, much less make good on back-payments? He has no guarantees.

winning side?
They don't make his payments, WE do. (The Commonwealth)
There may be a new agent or whatever, but he will get paid his back wages at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back