Life Magazine, Dec 1 1941 and Onwards. Things that strike me Odd or Interesting (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Going through the war years of Life Magazine, up to Dec 01 1941 now. I found the highlighted part interesting.

ph.jpg

They weren't so fearful to have already sent Kido Butai on its mission. Clearly Kurusa wasn't in the loop ... or he was disambiguating.

I personally believe the former.

Photos and captions are not good. The first picture has in its caption, "....Japan's first attacking bombers swept in without warning...Some soared in at enormous altitudes..." The aircraft in the picture look suspiciously like B17s. The next photo has a low level flight of B-17s and the caption says, "....and with Flying Fortress formations, like the one above, heading out to sea. One Jap carrier was reported sunk.! :oops::oops:

It wasn't really "fake news" back then, it was the slow access to information exasperated by confused and conflicting reports.

We've become spoiled with our instant access to real-time information streams, where back then, information from the scene had to be either wired (telex), telephoned or written notes sent by courier and in some cases, relayed by shortwave radio operators.

Kinda sh!t the bed on this as I forgot all about this thread. Now up to Mar. '44. Lot of stuff that would strike one as odd if one know the actual history behind the event as opposed to how it was reported at the time. Coming up to June 6th shortly so it will be interesting to see the real time reportage (10$ word thrown in). Another thing I've really enjoyed is seeing the celebrities of the time doing their part and all the ad prices. Spoiler alert.....I'll let you know how D-Day turns out

Kinda sh!t the bed on this as I forgot all about this thread. Now up to Mar. '44. Lot of stuff that would strike one as odd if one know the actual history behind the event as opposed to how it was reported at the time. Coming up to June 6th shortly so it will be interesting to see the real time reportage (10$ word thrown in). Another thing I've really enjoyed is seeing the celebrities of the time doing their part and all the ad prices. Spoiler alert.....I'll let you know how D-Day turns out
I think the Germans might do ok...

It wasn't really "fake news" back then, it was the slow access to information exasperated by confused and conflicting reports.

We've become spoiled with our instant access to real-time information streams, where back then, information from the scene had to be either wired (telex), telephoned or written notes sent by courier and in some cases, relayed by shortwave radio operators.

I would think wartime censorship played a role too, as in not wanting to reveal military details which could theoretically aid the enemy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back