Lightening the P-40

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think most of us have seen pictures of the P-40 alongside the Bf-109 and the Supermarine Spitfire and most of us can agree that they are not that much different in size, unless I'm blind, the P-40 looks pretty small compare to the P-51 etc.

My question is: If they started in April 1939 systematically cutting weight off the P-40, could they have gotten it down to a loaded weight of 6,500 pounds, and could they have done it by January 1942? The P-40 had a lot of steel armor, probably two more guns than it really needed, and a lot of steel structure that could be replaced with Aluminum (maybe?).

I'm obsessed with the concept that the US should have had a true contemporary to the Bf 109 and the Spitfire and I wonder if there is any possibility that the P-40 could have been a real, legitimate short range interceptor capable of dogfighting with the real bad-asses in the early 1940s. I really feel like there is a legit dogfighter buried in all of that armor, It was by all accounts a maneuverable fighter for its limitations and one that handled itself well at high speeds.

From what i know and read the P-40 was a good dog fighter and only lacked in climb rate when compared to its contemporaries like the 109 and spitfire. Pilots claim they could turn with spitfires, and dive like 109s, but if their opponents went into an extended climb then the plane couldn't keep up.

The amazing thing is that the pilots were actually successful with the airframe, and i think it was because they used slashing tactics from formations above their targets. The plane was durable enough to dive at high speed, swoop in for an attack, and then zoom away. It could turn, if needed, but i think successful pilots would've avoided mixing it up to keep their energy up enough so they could get a decent zoom climb out of the attack.

From what i know and read the P-40 was a good dog fighter and only lacked in climb rate when compared to its contemporaries like the 109 and spitfire. Pilots claim they could turn with spitfires, and dive like 109s, but if their opponents went into an extended climb then the plane couldn't keep up.
A P-40is not going to keep up with a Spitfire in a sustained turn. It may out roll it but it's not going to turn with a spit - and this is assuming you have 2 pilots of the same skill level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back