Location of build plates spitfire VB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nig

Airman
Sep 24, 2011
I have been made aware of the location of a Spitfire abandoned at the end of WW2. Long story but a bloke that worked for me told me what airstrip it was buried on and the bloke that heard from the person that saw it buried let slip where it was on the airstrip without realising that I knew what the name of the strip is.

The site is 2000ha so it requires intimate knowledge of its location.

This was over 5 years ago and I was hoping he would do something about it but I thought in the absence of action I would go and have a look.

I realise there are a lot of stories about buried aircraft but if nothing else it will provide some adventure for me and my boys.

I'm thinking of mounting a expodition next year to conduct a search. It's over 2500km from me so no small undertaking. I would have the capacity to recover the aircraft but probably not the ability to bring it back to airworthiness.

The first step is to confirm the location and identity of the aircraft in order to start a process of legally claiming it.

To that end I was hoping someone might be able to tell me of the location of a serial number plate aside from the numbers on the tail. Is there a data plate somewhere on the machine and if so where is it?

Thanks in advance for information provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back