Lockheed says F35 will replace F15's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The F-35 is a lot more maneuverable than being credited for, but I doubt you're going to call it a dedicated air superiority fighter.

We might not but LM seems quite happy to:

"Steve O'Bryan, Lockheed vice president for business development, supported Lockheed's analysis, saying a single F-35 provides the capability of six F-15s in air-to-air simulations. Although the F-35's projected top speed of M1.6 falls short of the F-15's M2.5 maximum, O'Bryan says, the F-35's higher level of stealth offsets the F-15's speed advantage in calculations of overall survivability."

Let's see... if one F-35 equals six F-15Cs, then 8 F-35s equals... Umm, does this mean that 2 Spanish Typhoons can lay the whoopass on 48 F-35s?

JL

PS: BTW, did you see where Gates said that 8 Predators (IIRC) were equal to 36 F-16's as CAS assets?

EDIT: Here's the link to the O'Bryan quote:

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...10-lockheed-says-f-35s-will-replace-usaf.html

Last edited:
We might not but LM seems quite happy to:

"Steve O'Bryan, Lockheed vice president for business development, supported Lockheed's analysis, saying a single F-35 provides the capability of six F-15s in air-to-air simulations. Although the F-35's projected top speed of M1.6 falls short of the F-15's M2.5 maximum, O'Bryan says, the F-35's higher level of stealth offsets the F-15's speed advantage in calculations of overall survivability."

Let's see... if one F-35 equals six F-15Cs, then 8 F-35s equals... Umm, does this mean that 2 Spanish Typhoons can lay the whoopass on 48 F-35s?

JL

PS: BTW, did you see where Gates said that 8 Predators (IIRC) were equal to 36 F-16's as CAS assets?

EDIT: Here's the link to the O'Bryan quote:

SINGAPORE 2010: Lockheed says F-35s will replace USAF F-15s

I saw it Butters and you continue your rant. Bottom line I think the aircraft is going to be built and its going to be one of the most advanced combat aircraft to date. In the mean time if I was you i'd write your PM and start getting DND to put together a purchase proposal.

The F-35 is a lot more maneuverable than being credited for,

Lockheed Martin says it is very maneuverable, that isn't the same as actually being very maneuverable. You've got to bear in mind the massive marketing campaign currently going on (with Typhoon, Gripen, Rafale etc. as well) and manufacturers statements with a pinch of salt. The F-35 has a comparatively high wing loading and a comparatively low thrust/weight ratio combined with a fairly draggy stealth airframe (stealth features add a lot of drag and weight). It's not going to be as manoeuverable as contemporary aircraft unless Lockheed Martin has used some magic pixie dust.

How much manoeuverability actually matters for the F-35 is another matter. Plenty of capability to stop the combat before it gets within visual range.

Lockheed Martin says it is very maneuverable.
And did you read the rest of my post???

"But I doubt you're going to call it a dedicated air superiority fighter."

I've seen it fly - it is VERY maneuverable. With that said, I would hope ANY potential F-35 customer takes
Steve O'Bryan's comments with a grain of salt and determine their own needs.

As a former Lockheed employee and having worked with marketing folks they will tell you anything and it doesn't matter what company they work for. The fact remains the F-35 will be a record beater and it seems Lockheed has already put their money where their mouth is

How much manoeuverability actually matters for the F-35 is another matter. Plenty of capability to stop the combat before it gets within visual range.

I agree but similar thinking had the USAF eliminating guns from aircraft in the 60s-70s which proved to be a terrible mistake.

I personally believe vector thrust maneuvering will only be seen in airshows and rarely in combat.

My Lockheed retirement is safe - no worries! The F-35 will be everything it is promised to be. As for highly maneuverable, how maneuverable would it need to be if it shot you down before you detected it?

If you ask us nicely, we promise to sell you some Typhoons to replace the F15 in the air to air role just in case the F22 doesn't want to get dirty.

:lol:

My Lockheed retirement is safe - no worries! The F-35 will be everything it is promised to be. As for highly maneuverable, how maneuverable would it need to be if it shot you down before you detected it?

Right on!!!!

BTW - I check the status of my retirement about once a year, thanks for reminding me!

I'm going to address Joe's criticisms of my various 5th Gen-related posts as soon as I get the time, but until then here's something for the believers in the gospel of the holy trinity of stealth, BVR doctrine, and the do it all JSF.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/files/2008_RAND_Pacific_View_Air_Combat_Briefing.pdf

Just to clarify: The Rand Corp is neither left-wing nor an affiliate of CDI / APA. And whether you agree with their conclusions, or not, their study is worth the read.

JL

I'm going to address Joe's criticisms of my various 5th Gen-related posts as soon as I get the time, but until then here's something for the believers in the gospel of the holy trinity of stealth, BVR doctrine, and the do it all JSF.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/files/2008_RAND_Pacific_View_Air_Combat_Briefing.pdf

Just to clarify: The Rand Corp is neither left-wing nor an affiliate of CDI / APA. And whether you agree with their conclusions, or not, their study is worth the read.

JL

Its a good read Butter, in fact its and excellent read but it was put out 2 years ago and there are a few things assumed and not addressed...

No MC numbers for the Chinese during this fictional conflict

This scenario assumes the Flanker works as advertised.

It gives info about WW2 and Korea with no relevance in today's world.

In the end it give an argument to build MORE F-22s and F-35s.

And I see other "facts" in that report that aren't true, but again have nothing to do with the report....

The same propaganda General Dynamics and the Pentagon gave us about the F-111 in the 1960's sounds quite similar to what were hearing about the F-35.

"Multi-role" = good at nothing, mediocre at best.

The same propaganda General Dynamics and the Pentagon gave us about the F-111 in the 1960's sounds quite similar to what were hearing about the F-35.
I remember the same things said about the F-15 and F-16 during the mid 70s.
"Multi-role" = good at nothing, mediocre at best.

Tell that to F/A-18 drivers who, during GW1 shot down MiGs with bombs on their stores, and then went on to bomb targets inside Iraq. in today's world, the F/A-18 and F-15E can be truly called "multi role" and these aircraft do "everything" well and have proven it in combat....

I remember the same things said about the F-15 and F-16 during the mid 70s.

Nope. They were both designed from the onset as fighters, both with some influence on what went wrong with the F-111. Being a fighter also meant they could be used as an interceptor or fighter-bomber. But neither were designed to be a true bomber.

Tell that to F/A-18 drivers who, during GW1 shot down MiGs with bombs on their stores, and then went on to bomb targets inside Iraq. in today's world, the F/A-18 and F-15E can be truly called "multi role" and these aircraft do "everything" well and have proven it in combat....

And yet it sacrificed something to get both. Its a great fighter, but its also not a true great bomber either.

The A6, A7 and A10 all performed well because they were designed from the outset to drop bombs as a primary mission.

Nope. They were both designed from the onset as fighters, both with some influence on what went wrong with the F-111. Being a fighter also meant they could be used as an interceptor or fighter-bomber. But neither were designed to be a true bomber.
I was talking about the bad press during the Carter administration where there were some that wanted to scrap the F-15 for being too costly and criticized the F-16 when it got airborne during high speed taxi tests.

BUT.......

And yet it sacrificed something to get both. It's a great fighter, but its also not a true great bomber either.
Show us some documented negative evidence that the F-16, F-15E and F/A-18 suffered in their "multi role mode" operationaly during the past 15 or 20 years!!!!!

F-15E drives consider themselves bomber pilots that could "knife fight" as well (I work with a few of them).

One of the guys I work with who flew the F-15E said the roles were transparent with he exception with a little sacrifice in load out (depending on the mission) and range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back