Looking for confirmation this is an AT-12 (2 seat version of the P-35)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spitlead

Airman 1st Class
Feb 19, 2019
Seversky P-35 Spirit of Batam - Chino'84 sepia_FotoSketcher_Vivify1.jpg

The two-seater P-35 made by Seversky was named the 2PA and evolved in parallel with the single-seat P-35 fighter,. The 2PA was a two-seat fighter and fighter-bomber. Sweden ordered 52 planes of the 2PA type but received only two prior to the U.S. embargo . The remaining 50 were appropriated by the USAAC, re-armed with 0.30 in and 0.50 in machine guns, and used as advanced trainers named AT-12 Guardsman. So the 2PA and AT-12 are the same plane basicly.

IMHO that's the Seversky AT-12 Guardsman, NX55539 in your pic from the Planes of Fame Air Museum, Chino, CA. She was built for the Swedish Air Force as a 2PA in 1940, but it was interned by the U.S. Army Air Force, assigned serial number 41-17529, and used as an advanced trainer. It was withdrawn from flight status in the late 1970s and then restored to airworthy condition. She had a different from the P-35s windscreen earlier. The different windscreen can be still noticed in pics of her from 1978 to 1997 at least. Now she has the windscreen of a different shape.

A shot taken in 1987...
0000054175.jpg

Aerial Visuals - Airframe Dossier - Seversky AT-12 Guardsman, s/n 41-17529 USAAF, c/n 483-38, c/r N55539

Seversky AT-12.jpg

the pic source: Guardsman | Planes of Fame Air Museum

The two-seater P-35 made by Seversky was named the 2PA and evolved in parallel with the single-seat P-35 fighter,. The 2PA was a two-seat fighter and fighter-bomber. Sweden ordered 52 planes of the 2PA type but received only two prior to the U.S. embargo . The remaining 50 were appropriated by the USAAC, re-armed with 0.30 in and 0.50 in machine guns, and used as advanced trainers named AT-12 Guardsman. So the 2PA and AT-12 are the same plane basicly.

IMHO that's the Seversky AT-12 Guardsman, NX55539 in your pic from the Planes of Fame Air Museum, Chino, CA. She was built for the Swedish Air Force as a 2PA in 1940, but it was interned by the U.S. Army Air Force, assigned serial number 41-17529, and used as an advanced trainer. It was withdrawn from flight status in the late 1970s and then restored to airworthy condition. She had a different from the P-35s windscreen earlier. The different windscreen can be still noticed in pics of her from 1978 to 1997 at least. Now she has the windscreen of a different shape.

A shot taken in 1987...
View attachment 574302
Aerial Visuals - Airframe Dossier - Seversky AT-12 Guardsman, s/n 41-17529 USAAF, c/n 483-38, c/r N55539

View attachment 574310
You are correct, I took that photo at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, CA in the mid to late 80's. Thanks for the verification!

Posting the original color photo from 1984. I could not find a "Spirit of Bataan" airplane online, anywhere.

Seversky P-35 Spirit of Batam - Chino'84.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO the name of the plane could be fictional and was added because of a kind of anniversary or to commemorate an event etc. What is more the applied name seems to be a sticker. Its bottom left corner didn't stick well I would say.

Seversky P-35 Spirit of Batam - Chino'84_b.jpg

IMHO the name of the plane could be fictional and was added because of a kind of anniversary or to commemorate an event etc. What is more the applied name seems to be a sticker. Its bottom left corner didn't stick well I would say.

View attachment 574499

Hmmm, you may very well be right. There does appear to be a shadow under the lower left corner of the name. I did not notice that. Very keen observation!

A shot taken in 1987...
View attachment 574302

View attachment 574310
In the photo of the AT-12 flying, that wing looks very much like the P-47 wing. It's actually a pretty cool looking airplane.

Are those two bumps along the top of the nose cowl air inlets or gun housings? I thought they were air intakes and now I'm questioning that. Either way, it looks like they partially blocked the forward view of the pilot. Would look a lot cleaner if they were gone.

If you mean the pointed with the yellow arrows bumps in the pic below these were the .30 cal. MG fairings. The quite large air intake between them was for the carburetor.

Seversky P-35.jpg

Seversky P-35_.jpg

the pic: the Internet.

I'm referring to the air intake. The AT-12 pic appears to have its guns and the MG fairings removed. Would've thought the designer would've installed that carb air intake on the side of the cowl, or the bottom.

I'm referring to the air intake. The AT-12 pic appears to have its guns and the MG fairings removed. Would've thought the designer would've installed that carb air intake on the side of the cowl, or the bottom.

On the bottom you pick up all the garbage thrown back by the prop then have to duct it up to the carb on the top of the engine with all the duct losses that go with that and the equally big problem of finding room inside the cowl without obstructing access to essentials. On the side same ducting problem and similar duct losses.

Resp:
P-43 Lancer, I believe.

No - that is definitely an AT-12, due to the round cowling with the prop shaft centered and the air scoop atop the cowling. Also, note the fairings for the main wheels on both the gear leg (aft-retracting) and under the wing - the P-43 had flush-fitting inward-retracting main landing gear.

THESE are photos of a P-43 Lancer - note the slightly ovaled cowling with the prop shaft above center, and the lack of the air intake.

P-43 Lancer.jpgRepublic P-43.jpgRepublic P-43 Lancer.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back