Looking for info on my great uncle . . .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fasteagle107

Recruit
Oct 16, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Recently, I learned from my Grandmother that her brother - Arthur Grant Sylvester from Sunnyvale, CA - was a P-47 pilot during WWII and was killed during one of his missions. He was apparently shot down over Metz, France on Oct. 26, 1944. His obituary stated he had received the purple heart and air medal.

I'm still shocked that my family never talked about him or even told us grandkids that we had a great uncle killed in WWII. Especially seeing how we have four pilots in the family - 2 with military careers . . .

Anyway, where can I try to find out information about my great uncle?? I have no idea about his service record, what unit he served with, how many missions he flew, etc.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Jim

You might have to start at the end and work backwards:

October 1944 USAAF Missing Air Crew Reports

is a listing of all USAAF Missing Air Crew Reports for October 44. There are four for P-47s on the 26th. Sadly, no names on that page, so you may have to order alll four (edit - see below) and go from there.

Once you've got the correct Fighter Group, have a look at the forums here:

ArmyAirForces

There's likely a forum dedicated to the relevant group there, with folks who may be able to direct you further re: searching for info, photos, service records, etc.

HTH

EDIT - I think you can ignore MACR 9628 as that P-47 is listed as lost at Elmersdorf, and the two 366th FG losses don't seem to fit either, according to this page:

366th Fighter Group Assoc - Casualties Cronological

So, you probably want MACR 9629.

right O Mark !

there were 4 P-47 losses

362nd fg with one
366th fg with 2
378th fg with 1

the 362nd, 366th were from the 9th Air Force. no clue about the 378th fg.

and TA-DA ! Jim, you're in luck he was in the 378th fighter squadron of the 362nd fighter group. His P-47 had a blue ring on the nose and the code was G8.

He was KIA on mission number 276.

E ~

Wow Erich, that's speedy!

What's the MACR #? Edit - must be 9629?

Yep, as already stated here, the best forum when you´re looking for someone is ArmyAirForces.com
If you didn´t do it yet, post your request there...

P-47 losses from that day:

ser. N° date MACR FG FS A/C
42-76137 10/26/1944 9624 366 P-47
42-28295 10/26/1944 9629 378 P-47
42-26919 10/26/1944 9628 362 377 P-47
42-27237 10/26/1944 9623 366 P-47

Guys - thanks for the information and leads. This site truly is amazing!!:shock: :!: I found his personnel record and some other info. Now just trying to fill in the blanks surrounding his service and death. Will probably have to order the MACR in hopes of gleaning some additional information.

Thanks again for all the help. Also, I'm planning on building the 1/48 Tamiya P-47 with his markings (or similar 378th FS markings). I'll post some pics when I get stared on the project.

Here's a sample of my model work in 1/48 scale. Enjoy and thanks again for the help.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3470.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 162
  • Swim meet, S-3A Viking 043.jpg
    Swim meet, S-3A Viking 043.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 184
Guys - thanks for the information and leads. This site truly is amazing!!:shock: :!: I found his personnel record and some other info. Now just trying to fill in the blanks surrounding his service and death. Will probably have to order the MACR in hopes of gleaning some additional information.

Thanks again for all the help. Also, I'm planning on building the 1/48 Tamiya P-47 with his markings (or similar 378th FS markings). I'll post some pics when I get stared on the project.

Here's a sample of my model work in 1/48 scale. Enjoy and thanks again for the help.

Jim

Beautiful models Jim!
For MACR try this Footnote - The place for original historical documents online

Jim my reference was to the 362nd fg history, Mogins Maulers. Sadly it does not have much at all about the mission except to bomb marshalling yards, 15 P-47's on mission.

NICE MODELS!!
Don't use tamiya plastic models-they are cheap. the last tamiya model i built was bust. Get trumpeter of hasegawa p-47, 'cause of the detail and decals. Another good brand is dragon.

this reveals how impressive this site is! I'm glad you now have some information and hope it provides some closure for your family!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back