Looking for Information about an Avenger Squadron aboard CV-31, Bon Homme Richard

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wuzak

Captain
Jun 5, 2011
Hobart Tasmania
My friend Dick's father was a navigator on TBF/M Avengers in mid 1945, operating off the Bon Homme Richard, CV-31.

He (and his squadron) joined in the Bon Homme Richard on its way to Japan in mid 1945.

He didn't speak about the war much, so Dick isn't sure what squadron his father was in, and doesn't have any images of that squadron.

Dick at first thought that his father was in the VT-52 squadron, but now thinks it may have been VT(N)-91.

I did some searches and was struggling to find squadrons that were embarked on the Bon Homme Richard during WW2, let alone Avenger night squadrons.

Does anybody have any information on this?

Dick is also building a TBF/M Avenger and is hoping to apply the markings of his father's squadron, so any pictures would be appreciated.

VT(N)-52 was established on 20 October 1944 at NAAF Charlestown RI. Commanding officer LCDR George Wayne Snider, USN, attached on1 November, taking over from the acting CO, LTJG John Warren Ripley, USNR A1. On 11 February 1945 LT Henry Arthur Carey, USNR A1 reported aboard and took over as CO when Snider fleeted up to CAG-52. At the end of the war the squadron was at NAS Barbers Point. VT(N)-52 never deployed into combat.

VT(N)-91 was established on 5 October 1944 at NAS Quonset Point RI. Commanding officer was LCDR Howard Malcolm Avery, USN. The squadron was aboard USS Bon Homme Richard from June thru September 1945 and saw combat in the final strikes on Japan in July and August 1945. CO at the end of the war was LCDR Robert Hayes Smith, USN, who moved up from the XO slot when Avery fleeted up to CAG-91 on 23 November 1944. Avery, though, one might note, did most of his combat flying as CAG in a TBM.

Errr. you do know that USN single engine type aviators did their own navigation, right? TBMs had a pilot, a turret gunner and a place for a guy inside the fuselage who was either a radio operator or, especially in night squadrons, a radar operator and in either case also served as a tunnel gunner. There was no navigator's position in TBMs, nor provision for same in squadron organization other than a single pilot, usually with a demonstrated talent for fast, correct solutions to strike navigation planning, whose collateral duty was squadron navigation officer. For example, in VT(N)-91, at the end of the war, that was LTJG Harold G Jedlund USNR A1 . . . but his primary duty was to drive an airplane, for which he was decorated with a DFC before it was all over. Squadron navigation officer might have an assistant, another pilot - again, primary duty was driving a plane; in the case of VT(N)-91, that was ENS Elvin L Baer, USNR A1, but this such collateral duty was mostly for training some promising soul.

I can schmooze around in squadron rosters for both of these squadrons if you wish.

Last edited:
My mistake. Yes, Radio or radar operator/gunner.

That would be great if you could find those rosters.

Thank you very much for the information.

btw, just had a conversation with Dick, and his dad may have transferred from VT(N)-91 to VT(N)-52 after VJ-day.

I don't at all see Vernon Felix LaBrayere (338 53 54), ARM2c (CA) V-6 USNR on any enlisted roster I have for VT(N)-91.

On the other hand, I have him showing up as early as 1 December 1944 in VT(N)-52 war diaries and on through the end of the war. From that I would guess that he was not in VT(N)-91.

Subsequent appearances on VT(N)-52 rosters are in the monthly war diaries for
December 1944, dated 1 January 1945
January 1945, dated 1 February 1945
February 1945, dated 1 March 1945
April 1945, dated 1 May 1945 (and with promotion to ARM2c from ARM3c)
June 1945, dated 1 July 1945
July 1945, dated 1 August 1945
August 1945, dated 1 September 1945 and
September 1945, dated 1 October 1945

The squadron War History, dated 1 November 1945, shows him (fourth from the bottom of the page) as received on 20 October 1944, the day the squadron was established and, as of 1 November 1945, still aboard. See page 2 of the enlisted roster from that report, attached.

Rich
1549850133080.png

Last edited:
Thankyou very much Rich.

Dick will love that information.

Dick told me yesterday that his father completed training when they found out that he was underage when he enlisted, so he was sent back home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back