Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.
Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.
Thank you I didn't think of that. Was hoping that with so many very knowledgeable people here they may have some good detailed pics for building a detailed model as with so many aircraft.
I recently built the Tamiya GM4 1/48 and I've had this old Monogram P38 1/48 kit from the 70's for years now so I thought it'd be cool to build it as the one that shot down Yamamoto's GM4. From what I've looked up I'm thinking it was olive drab (Army) but can't find any definitive pics of its markings or details as to it's armament and equipment. I figured you guys would have it all being as I'm amazed with the knowledge here.
Well, first, the latest available info seems to indicate that NOBODY shot down the Admiral's Betty. Postwar examination of the crashed airplane indicated no bullet holes in it. Looks like the pilot crashed it or broke it up as a result of violent maneuvering and nap of the Earth flying. The wounds in the Admiral's body came from impact, not bullets, and death was due to blunt force impact. By the way none of the four escorting Zeros were shot down, either, despite being claimed as such. The other Betty on the mission was indeed shot down, apparently by Rex Barber.
The old Monogram P-38 from the 60's is a P-38L. The P-38's used in the mission were P-38F or G or H, which are recognizably different.
The Tamiya 1/48 P-38F/G kit has the markings for the plane you're looking for, I think the plane Rex Barber flew on the mission was named Miss Virginia. It's olive drab over neutral gray, and comes with the large fuel tank that was used to fly this long range mission from Guadalcanal.