Looking for some footage of air to air battle night of 8/9 May 1944 in Wevelgem Belgium (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pienske

Airman
Jun 6, 2021
I am investigating the crash of Halifax LW 583 / QO-L of 432 Sqdr. that happened the night of 9 May 1944 in Wevelgem.

On another website I found a list of Halifaxes that were taken down that night:

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 12.48.19.png

At the end of the list there is a reference to a Film.

I assume that this is a reference to footage. So I am looking for Film C.2071/I Anerk: Nr.198, Nr.58, Nr.59, Nr.189.

Any idea where I can find this footage?
Thanks a lot for your help.
JL

I am investigating the crash of Halifax LW 583 / QO-L of 432 Sqdr. that happened the night of 9 May 1944 in Wevelgem.

On another website I found a list of Halifaxes that were taken down that night:

View attachment 714591
At the end of the list there is a reference to a Film.

I assume that this is a reference to footage. So I am looking for Film C.2071/I Anerk: Nr.198, Nr.58, Nr.59, Nr.189.

Any idea where I can find this footage?
Thanks a lot for your help.
JL
Thats a kill cam. Used to get the claims evidence.

The reference Film C 2027 etc. are the file reference of the claim notis at the Militär Archiv in Freiburg, Germany. It is the claim registration of the RLM.
Are these archive files in Freiburg publicly accessible?

Hi,

To download the relevant file, please visit invenio, and search for RL 5/1449. It contains Film 2027 Teil I.

Here is a direct link to that file: https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/direktlink/b7bfb7c1-3ba6-4dcc-be3a-28c6d80e4d4f/. Clicking Digitalisat anzeigen will open a digital copy of the entire file.

To save you a bit of time, I've attached the relevant section, although it includes no more information than what you listed above.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Attachments

• 9 May 1944 victory claims.jpg
    9 May 1944 victory claims.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 17
Hi,

To download the relevant file, please visit invenio, and search for RL 5/1449. It contains Film 2027 Teil I.

Here is a direct link to that file: https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/direktlink/b7bfb7c1-3ba6-4dcc-be3a-28c6d80e4d4f/. Clicking Digitalisat anzeigen will open a digital copy of the entire file.

To save you a bit of time, I've attached the relevant section, although it includes no more information than what you listed above.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Hello Andrew, thanks a lot for your help!

The question that I still have... is the film footage of the battle itself somewhere downloadable?

Once more, thanks a lot for your help and support!

To second Andrew, the film is a series of still images, photographs of pages from a report, microfilm was the photocopier/storage device of its day. Electronic copies of Luftwaffe claims can now be found at http://don-caldwell.we.bs/jg26/claims/tonywood.htm

Theo Boiten in Nachtjagd War Diaries matches the loss of LW583 to the claim by Hptm. Adolf Breves of Stab. IV/NJG1, it was his first claim. W.R. Chorley agrees and notes the Halifax had a 7 man crew, 3 killed, 2 PoW, 2 evaded. Aircraft reported crashed at Posthoors (West Vlaanderan) about 2 km SW of Courtrai

Users who are viewing this thread

Back