Looking for someone to print decals... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,
Maybe the question was asked... I'm looking for someone who can print some decals I need for my projects.
Any solution (or candidate) to help me please (I obviously pay...)
TIA, cheers
Stéph

I have done my own on occasion Steph but my capabities are limited. I use a simple ink jet printer and saturation of reds and yellows is poor. Below is a sample that I made. As you can see, the black has dissolved somewhat. Do you have something specific in mind?

1210192.jpg

"Bad Brad Graphics", prints excellent vinyl graphics for larger models, (RC type). For smaller plastic models I use "Testors" Decal making kit for my custom decals.

The kind of thing that I need is often "white inscription" like the photo below
Birkner H. J..jpg

I also need the firstname "Gerda" and some others in white and sometimes in black... Is it possible to do that ?

Not with my set up. Typical home printer, be they ink jet or laser, can not print white. However, there is white decal paper so what could be done is to get the printer to print the coloured background onto white paper, though it;s almost impossible to get the right colour to print out. I tried this on my Me 410 for the W. Nr decal and here's what that looked like after a touch-up. Not very good in my opinion.

120108 1.jpg

Sorry I can't help more. Folks who print good decals have much better printers (ALPS Printer for example) that can print all colours, including white. That's the guy you want to find. If you have a local model club, you can maybe ask there.

With Andy, Steph. I've printed my own using Testors clear decal paper, the outcome wasn't spectacular and this is black...

002.JPG

One thing I've read is in relation to the pixels. It's better to use a program like Inkscape or such to create your images. I used Paint.net for mine, haven't quite got the hang of Inkscape yet

Steph, a decal company in the UK, called Fantasy Print Shop, can print customs decals. It might be that they have what you want already, as doing a 'one off' could work out expensive. Also, I believe Peddinghus decals in Germany might have the decals, or could print them.

Thank you all for the informations.
Terry, I think I'm going to contact Peddinghaus and Fantasy Print Shop...
I also found Dennis Loep (formerly Peolini-design) and fireballsmodels
I'll keep you informed

Darker colours that go over a Lighter colour on the model - easy... Laser on Clear Film

If you NEED the white BG for Roundels (like RAAF) or SQN Badges (RAAF again), print on clear and cut a piece of white filme JUST smaller than the colour on clear.

Whites and Lights get challenging, as your run of the mill Laser can't do white, and most commercial (ie easy to use) screen printing stuff (Print Gocco, etc) doing give you good enough res... What CAN work tho is (wait for it) BRASS ETCHING! Have a go on 10thou or 20thou Brass!

You'll need to do a two sided etch - side one, will have the exact pattern you want, but in reverse; side two will have the 'positive' of the image, WITH some 'runners', frames, whatever you want to call them, to hold the middle of letters in place (like the middle of an 'O'). Etch them up, then AIRBRUSH into clear film, touching up with a brush where needed.

The advantage of the etch mask is a) totally reusable, so you can shoot mutiple attempts in one go and choose the best, and b) you can actually get into the brass with a sharp blade or micro file, to 'sharpen things up'... You'll want to go look up things like 'Press n Peel Blue' and 'Ammonium Persulfate' ((NH4)2 S2 O8 - comes as whilte crystals), which you'll find at Electronics Stores where they sell supplies for Printing your own PCB's.

PLUS, if you can make spray masks, you can also begin to make you own etch (you may want to looking into options like Ferric Chloride etchant, as it goes a bit slower; or Copper Chloride in Aqueous Hydrochloric Acid Solution (CCiAHAS), which I have never used, but have been told its pretty cool! --> Stop using Ferric Chloride etchant! (A better etching solution.))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back