looking to buy 1930's era polish bi plane.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aussie_Col

Recruit
Dec 18, 2015
Hello everyone,
just looking to buy a 1930's era bi plane (two seat military trainers etc) etc.

At Luskintyre aviation flying museum, NSW, Australia, we have DH Tiger moth's, Boeing Steerman, Yak-52s among others.

Being of polish heritage, it would be nice to add to the collection with some polish planes such as:

PWS-26 (would be awesome but could be very difficult)
PZL ???
Bartel ???

I am open to any suggestions on what anyone may feel could be a suitable (vintage) plane.

My Father and I will travel to anywhere in europe to inspect and potentially purchase plane/s.
Planes can be in flying condition or in need of restoration.
On purchase, we would be dismantling and packaging into shipping container/s to freight back to Australia.

Any information, help, advice etc would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't think you may find any of the pre-war, Polish bi-planes in any conditions. The reason for that is , none of these has survived. The only PWS-26 of the interwar period I know is exhibited at the Cracow Aviation Museum. I doubt they would be willing to sell it at all. Also I haven't heard there would be any airworthy replic of these kites offered in Poland.

"Some PWS-26s were shot down by the Germans, at least one was shot down by the Soviets on September 19. A large number of PWS-26s were destroyed on the ground by the Germans or burned by the withdrawing Poles. A dozen or so were evacuated to Romania and at least 33 to Latvia. This latter group were captured by the Germans - in 1941. After some modification, 28 of them were sold to Romania. The Romanian aircraft (including those evacuated), entered service in civilian and military aviation (and used there until the 1950s). Two were tested in Germany. A dozen or so were captured by the Soviets in Poland and also used by them for testing."

In view of the above information, I'm sure you could forgive me for believing that finding one could be possible.
Even if its in pieces, we have full engineering, maintenance and restoration facilities onsite at Luskintyre flying aviation museum.

Well.. bonne chance then ! :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Last edited:
Hi Aussie Col,

The PWS 26 at the MLP in Cracow is the only one left in the world, so I suspect one won't be joining your collection in a hurry. Take a look here: Polish Aviation Museum Cracow

I can't say much about the state of vintage aviation in Poland, but it might be worth contacting the museum and chatting with an English speaking staff member there. I visited many years ago now and one of the guys who worked there spoke very good English. Contact the museum through the link I posted above and see what you can find out.

Good luck and I wish you well.

It doesn't look promising, but maybe there is a wreck or pieces in some landfill site. Might not get the a/c to flying condition, but some a/c archaeology would still be a worthwhile excercise

looks like a Stearman with a Waco cowling.
14.jpg

Dragged and dropped, easy peasy

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back