Looking to find the history of a Cobra

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
In my town we have a static display of an AH-1F Cobra possibly a 1G and I would like to track down the history of this bird so that we can restore it correctly. A friend of mine tracked down the tail number ( 69-16442) to both a 1F and a 1G. I find it unlikely they would re-use the same tail number on two of the same aircraft but a model different? Anyway where can I go to track down this info?

In my town we have a static display of an AH-1F Cobra possibly a 1G and I would like to track down the history of this bird so that we can restore it correctly. A friend of mine tracked down the tail number ( 69-16442) to both a 1F and a 1G. I find it unlikely they would re-use the same tail number on two of the same aircraft but a model different? Anyway where can I go to track down this info?

You may have the history you need on 69-16442 but I thought I would offer the following: 69-16442 began as an AH-1G. It entered service May 1970. Arrived in Vietnam Aug 1970 with D 227th AHB. Served in Vietnam until Jul 1971. While in country 442's nickname was "Ghost". This information is available on the D227th website. I served in 3/101 Attack Helicopter Battalion, 101st Airborne Division where we had AH-1F 69-16442. We had this aircraft from my arrival in Feb 1988 (it was on station before my arrival) until we transferred it in the spring of 1991. When I crewed this aircraft the nickname was "Predator". In March of 1990 Mike Morrison entered our Company and I assigned him to this aircraft. He nicknamed it "Sinbad". Mike crewed this aircraft through Desert Shield and Desert Storm. We returned to Fort Campbell April of 1991 where we prepared all of our AH-1Fs for turn in since the unit was transitioning to AH-64 Apaches. Hope this helps some..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back