Lost another bark angel today (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

at6

1st Sergeant
Jun 15, 2011
Fresno, California
At 4:20 PM today my little foster dog, Trixie was put down. She basically lost her battle with Cryptosporidia after several months of various antibiotic treatments. she was in every way my dog even if she was legally the shelter's dog. If I seem a little off in my wording and spelling, it is because right now I'm drinking the sorrow away. Everything humanly possible was done to restore her health to no avail. I loved her to the very end and was with her as they gave her the final injections telling her how loved she was and that she was worth every bit of the work I had put into her care. Even though I had her for 11 months, it is as if I had had her for the full 15 years of her life in my heart. As I cleaned her bowl for the last time tonight I couldn't help crying as I miss her so much. Sorrows know no end and if asked to do it again. I would. The only reward is knowing that she was loved and that I did as much ads possible to the very end. I was with her at the last telling how much she was loved and how valued she would always be. People may not believe that little dogs understand, but they know more that we can ever give them credit for. All I can say is that given the opportunity is do it it if if you van because even if the sorrow seems overwhelming, you gave a little old dog all that they could ever hope for with love and care. Thank you reading this even if it a bit long.
100_1524.JPG
100_1525.JPG
100_1538.JPG

I took her food bowl and leashes back to the shelter today. I ended up crying as I turned them in, remembering how excited she was when I would feed her.

It is sad. But as nature is rigged it gives hope for another poor little bastard now in the penn.
I am sure you will be called on again to give one of those guys the best you have.

Thank each and everyone of you my friends. I'm actually doing better today emotionally. My Valley Animal Center family said they know who to call if another little old lady comes in. The animal center clinic went to great length and expense in an effort to save Trixie. If called upon, I would go through the whole experience again even though the end means great sorrow. The reward is in knowing that they are given the best possible life while they are with you.

A bit late here but Believe me I know and understand your feelings. In the past three years we've lost two of our girls. Breena our Irish Wolfhound died the day after I had her spayed from complications. She was 3yo. And last year our 2yo Shiba Inu Mieka slipped her leash and ran into the forest. We tried to find her for two days and came close but she was on a great adventure. She was hit by a car attempting to cross a highway 5 mile from here. Perhaps this may help
rainbow bridge.jpg

Thank you guys. Mike, I told Trixie that her first companion was waiting for her on the other side of the bridge. She originally belonged to my friend's father before he passed away and then to his mother-in-law who had to got to a nursing facility before she was placed in perpetual care at Valley Animal Center where she was placed with me. I will always miss her as I do every dog I've ever had with me in my life. I'm sorry that you lost yours at such a young age for each. Next week I plan to resume volunteering as I did before Trixie became such a part of my life. There is always a chance that another "little old lady" will come along to be permanently fostered and I will go through the whole process again.Bark angels deserve the best lives that we can possibly give them.

I most sincerely respect and admire the facts that: You volunteer to work with shelter animals who, in general, have been badly mistreated by their cretin owners. You took into your home and heart an older dog who, in general, very few people will adopt and usually are the ones most in need of adoption. You dealt to the very best of your ability and to the very end with her medical problems and didn't just take the easy path and put her down. You gave her precious time to once again know love and caring. Lastly the fact that you had the morality and courage to be there with your dog as she was put down. So many just "drop them off".
We have four of our own dogs at present so pretty much impossible for me to take in another.
I most sincerely commend you for your actions. I'd say humanity but that's not much in the way of commendation

Thank you Mike. When putting her down was discussed at the shelter a few weeks ago, we made it plain that I would be there with her at the last. None of us were ready to give up on her recovery until it became clear that she would suffer if it were delayed past the day she crossed the Rainbow bridge. Her quality of life was deteriorating during her last 3 days with me and I could tell when I took her to the clinic that I would lose her. Camille gave her her final injections with tears in her eyes. Being a no kill facility makes it even harder on everyone emotionally when these situations arise. When I take a dog, I'm all in emotionally or I won't take the dog. It wouldn't be fair to the bark angel.

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your dog: I've had several pets that died (two cats and two dogs) and it's awful when it happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back