Luftwaffe Dive Bomber insturment? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help on this one. I found this picture a while back on ebay and thought it interesting enough to save. Unfortuently I did not label the picture and I cant find the ebay listing on it. I think it has something to do with bombing but could be wrong. Ive been to cockpit insturments but cant find a match. I think its a gauge for a dive bomber but could be wrong.

Two questions come to mind with this.

A. What is it really?
B. How does it work.

Many thanks in advance.
Paul

Attachments

• 174291013_o.jpg
    174291013_o.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 315
Hi Micdrow,

>I think it has something to do with bombing but could be wrong. Ive been to cockpit insturments but cant find a match. I think its a gauge for a dive bomber but could be wrong.

Zielhöhe = target height
Karten-Entfernung = map distance
Zielentfernung = target distance
Geländewinkel = terrain angle

Looks more like a ground-based artillerie calculator/gauge to me.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Micdrow,

>I think it has something to do with bombing but could be wrong. Ive been to cockpit insturments but cant find a match. I think its a gauge for a dive bomber but could be wrong.

Zielhöhe = target height
Karten-Entfernung = map distance
Zielentfernung = target distance
Geländewinkel = terrain angle

Looks more like a ground-based artillerie calculator/gauge to me.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Henning,

Very well could be. Im not for sure what it was. I came up one day while I was searching stuff labeled Luftwaffe and if I remeber right it said it was for dive bombing but then again the sell could have been wrong. Still it looks like a very interesing piece of equipment.

this instrumnet i think is for the blindlaningequipment ( knickelbein system )
as it calculates the landingangel, hight of aircraft,mapreferences and angle of approach

not 100% sure but it all makes sense with how the blindlandigequipmentworks

Junkersrestorer GF :)

but thenagain.. it could be for bombing but i ahve never seen any of those and they are not present in the Junkers 88 or Ju 87 and it typically looks like something they would carry in a briefcase and not mounted in the a/c

just guessing here..but to my knowledge its not anything to do with divebombing as the Ju 88 had its own system for that all incorperated in the cockpit and was done fully automatical.. all the pilot had to do was set the height he wanted to get out of the dive, pull a level on the right side consol and the plane did the rest ( except releasing the bombs..that was done by the pilot ) if interested i can scan a complete manual of how that worked and put here and also post pictures of the instruments and controllevel used for this action

GF

here it is ( in german ) but its all fully automatic. on step one the pilot pulls the divebombinghandle and the plane does the rest

Attachments

• divebombing.jpg
    divebombing.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 243
glad you liked it !!! its from a original Ju 88 A1 manual i have regarding systemoperations. so far i think we have 10 000 pages of ju 88 A1 material in our museum for the restoration..some are extremely rare and some are more common.. thanks for helping my friend Ju-88 with manuals regarding the jumo engine
JU88.net

glad you liked it !!! its from a original Ju 88 A1 manual i have regarding systemoperations. so far i think we have 10 000 pages of ju 88 A1 material in our museum for the restoration..some are extremely rare and some are more common.. thanks for helping my friend Ju-88 with manuals regarding the jumo engine
JU88.net

No problem, glad I could help. :lol:

by the way..how do i downsize pictures here when posting..so i dont get any complaints about that..

Im going to assume you use microsoft windows as an operating system. If you go to programs, accessories and find the paint program and open it. Once you open your picture, go to image and find stetch/skew at the top and click on it. Then change the stretch from say 100 percent on both horizontal and vertical to say 50 and hit ok. Reduces pictures and does a pretty good job with quality. Percentage depends on your scanner and how big you want the pictures to show up. Once you have the right size just save you picture and post. Its great for reducing picture sizes after scanning and its what I use around here to reduce pictures sizes. jpeg's work great for posting.

Any more questions, let me know and I will try and figure them out.

ok :eek:)) just love that lovepass picture of that B-17..imagine sitting in that nose looking out.. :)

here is another for you

Attachments

• Kopi av B-17 lowpass.jpg
    Kopi av B-17 lowpass.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 262
cool. i have been so lucky to get to help restore the Liberty Belle when stationed in Florida and also when it was moved to Douglas-Georgia..i got quite some sticktime when it was flown from georgia to new Orleans ( this was three years ago ) and was the best flight in my life..flown the TF-51, T-6 and quite a few others but flying the B-17 really was a lifelong dream come true :) will search the tread there now

here is three pictures from that flight..have quite a few more..hehe

Attachments

• all set.JPG
    all set.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 107
  • flying the B 17.JPG
    flying the B 17.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 100
  • flying.JPG
    flying.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 96
The instrument in the original post does not appear to be a dive-related device. Typically German dive bombing aircraft had dive angles scribed on their side glass for direct reference to the horizon. This was inexpensive, had no moving parts to maintain and was light weight. The perfect German solution.

here it is ( in german ) but its all fully automatic. on step one the pilot pulls the divebombinghandle and the plane does the rest

Gentlemen,
I would be thrilled to find out about what instrument controlled the automatic functions of the Ju-88 dive sequence. Do you have any technical reference on such an instrument?

The Stuka Ju-87B-2 (1939) and subsequent models employed an electro-mechanical computing unit to assist dive recovery, which seems similar to the Ju-88 dive sequence. My family owns a 99% intact automatic dive recovery unit from a Stuka. We were not aware other aircraft used similar instruments, and would be interested in sharing information.

Best, - Wiking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back