Luftwaffe Winter Pilot's Uniform

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Attachments

• figure1.jpg
    figure1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 337
  • figure2.jpg
    figure2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 146
  • figure3.jpg
    figure3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 186
  • figure4.jpg
    figure4.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 138
  • figure4a.jpg
    figure4a.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 116
  • figure5.jpg
    figure5.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 127
  • figure6.jpg
    figure6.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 184
  • figure6a.jpg
    figure6a.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 125
what year Catch ? if it is 44-45 then Hartmann and the boyz from JG 52 are wearing the fur collared Lederkombination of black to dark brown with violet-black fur. the leather pants have cargo pockets as well. there are tons of personell = pilots LW pics of the Kombination being worn.

Wurgers pics are a bit earlier in the war.

Yes I agree. But many of the uniform elemnts can be seen also in pics that were taken during some different periods of WW2.Their colours seem to be the same..I think the first link can be really useful.

Erich and Wojtek are both right. If the leather trousers/jacket were not used, there was also a 'suit', to the same pattern, made from heavy-duty cloth material, I think artificial fibres, such as Rayon, although also in cotton canvas originally. This was a dark blue-grey, more like RAF blue than the Luftwaffe uniform colour, and the collar was a very dark grey, almost black looking, astrakhan-type 'fur'. The zip liniers on this latter kit were more prominent, being of a slightly lighter material, more so after wshing etc, and show in B&W photographs as a lighter grey line.
In addition, many pilots wore a black, or dark brown, leather 'bomber jacket', over their uniform jacket or Fliegerbluse if the latter was worn, with either the leather or cloth trousers already described. As many of these were obtained from 'private' sources, there doesn't appear to be a definite pattern to the design, although many resembled the American A1 jacket, but with leather cuffs and waist band, instead of knitted wool.

well it all depends on the time period late 44 Herbst all through 1945 for the LW fighter jocks.......in this example pilots from JG 4.

Attachments

• hd19.jpg
    hd19.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 174
Nice pic Erich! Interesting that they all appear to be wearing the winter leather jacket, over uniform trousers. Also interesting is the use of the issue belt for 'other ranks' with flying kit. I wonder if that was part of 'Standing Orders' for correct dress?

Then it would more than likely be what Erich described, and/or what I described. If you need any pics Cory, let me know, and I'll post a selection.
Bear in mind, as Erich pointed out, it could also depend on where etc. Some individuals used clothing of their own preference, possibly from the earlier periods of the War, particularly the 'Old Hares', whilst others might only have whatever was then current issue.

Cool pic Erich! I Like the covered 109(??) in the background, I feel a diorama coming on! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back