Luftwaffe Wonder Weapons (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thats the problem, HoHun, look closely. It states that as of 31 Oct there was 38 aircraft. By 30 Nov. they were down to 14 - they lost 24 jets through varoius means throughout the month. Without a day-by-day accounting neither of us can say that III./JG 7 had 38 for the month - You could say 38 (as on the 1 Nov.) and I could say 14 (as on 30 Nov.) :D I guess its just perspective.

But 15 went to other units. Were these to be counted by 30 Nov. ?

And there is one glaring fact missing. Those totals only reflect totals. Not servicable and on operations. Kinda like Hitler did during the last days moving units that only existed on paper. JG 7 hardly had much to work with in Nov and Dec.

Sorry for a second post but something else that bugs me.

Two sources list III./JG 7 being created on 19 Nov.

German Jet Aces of WW 2 by Hugh Morgan and John Weal pg 48 list it as being formed on that date and..

Jagdgeschwader 7

also has that date. How could they have 38 planes on 31 Oct?

Like Erich said its very difficult to figure out but I don't think much was available.

albert einstien wrote a letter to the US goverment warning them about his fears of germany developing nuc weapons. also the americans intended there nuc weapons for germany but the war ended to soon so the US decided to nuke japen insted.

On 20th Feb. 1944, Norweigan resistance made a final and successful attack against the ferry D/F "HYDRO" which was carrying the remaining Heavy Water to Germany.

I don't know how close Germany was to making a nuclear weapon, I think it's a large matter of debate on these boards.
Iirc, a drum of the 'heavy water' was recovered from the ferry but can't remember if 'heavy water' was found in the drum.

Hi Erich,

>all on paper as a propaganda tool at first.

A Luftwaffe internal internal accounting tool, nothing else.

>II./JG 7 was non-existant through the war but still provided a paper work propaganda suit to fool Allied intel and it worked

I quoted the numbers from III./JG 7, not II./JG 7.

On the site I quoted, II./JG 7 is not credited with any aircraft at all, so if anything, it can be used as proof that "propaganda" did not affect the strength reports.

Flugzeugbestand und Bewegungsmeldungen, II./JG7

By the way, it feels a bit asymmetrical if you criticize my sources but don't state any of your own.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Njaco, what is the number for the 1st of the month, Dec?

Didn't Classic Publications put out a book on JG7? What does it have to say?

Hi Njaco,

>Two sources list III./JG 7 being created on 19 Nov ... How could they have 38 planes on 31 Oct?

They were formed from the existing Kommando Nowottny. As the forms reproduced on the two sites had to be returned after the end of each months, they would obviously state for "Strenth on the first of the month" how many aircraft Kommando Nowottny had had available.

(This was actually a requirement for accounting continuity since Kommando Nowottny did no longer exist and would not return a form of its own.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

HoHun, I can see your point and I'm not a CPA (sometimes these things confuse me :lol: ) But lets go through this. I may be wrong.

First I don't see Kdo Nowotny listed. III./JG 7 formed 19 Nov., the middle of the month. So 38 planes were on strength for Kdo Nowotny on 1 Nov then switched to III./JG 7. But in that list it shows 15 transferred to other units. Could they have been taken from III./JG 7 at its inception leaving that Gruppe with only a small number? I think maybe the numbers might be skewed to trump up units that had nothing.

I think we may be on the same page regardless. You even posted "that these 38 might have been assigned to the unit "on paper", so we may be shouting just to see who's loudest. :lol:

On strength and whats reality are two way different things. Most of what you've stated I agree with (regarding materil delays, etc.) One other thing to understand: Pilot training had a major hand in reducing the time the Me 262 had in getting operational. There was a consensus that ex-bomber pilots (being familiar with twin-engines) would make easier jet pilots except they forgot to factor in that bomber pilots know nothing about fighter tactics. Flying in formations and straight flying don't help in a dogfight! One book I have states that there were 10 jets lost in only six weeks of training. Thats alot of precious planes.

and Al I would assume since those lists end on 30 Nov you could somewhat use that number as to what was available on 1 Dec. And I wish I had the JG 7 book - another addition to my Christmas list!

Hi Njaco,

>So 38 planes were on strength for Kdo Nowotny on 1 Nov then switched to III./JG 7. But in that list it shows 15 transferred to other units. Could they have been taken from III./JG 7 at its inception leaving that Gruppe with only a small number?

Sure - and my my original post already suggested these might have gone to EJG 2, which was an operational training unit:

Flugzeugbestand und Bewegungsmeldungen, III./EJG2

Note: 15 aircraft from III./JG 7 "to other units", 15 aircraft to III./EJG 2 "from other units".

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back