M2 Brownings on tanks, AFVs, trucks, jeeps, sidecars or bicycles. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Shortround6

Major General
Jun 29, 2009
Central Florida Highlands
As the title says.

Photos show proof of issue.
They don't show if the idea was good.
They don't show if the idea was bad.

They made around 50,000 M4 Shermans, just about all of them had a .50 cal gun issued.
We don't need 45,000 pictures of Sherman tanks with a .50 on top.
Nobody is claiming they weren't issued.

Somebody claimed it was hard to find photos of them in action with the .50 cal still on, which is all I was addressing. I wasn't trying to definitively prove that .50 cals were 'good'.

Looking into it, it seems like the British usually, though not always, removed the .50 cal, in part because of the logistics issues and in pat because they felt it raised the silhouette of the tank. In part it probably came down to their having been given a bunch of .50 cal ammunition and spare barrels in any given area or not.

One thing I did note in my posts and have noticed is that the ubiquity of the M2 and heavy machine guns in general does seem to increase in the field as the fighting intensifies.

It doesn't seem to be bad if it could be attachedal to the T-34 as well.

t34 m2.jpg

the source: the net ...

This is also a useful method for detecting obstacles in the road and or mines, with this fellow can sense by patting the ground with his right hand in between bursts on the gun (while letting the barrel cool)

An older discussion on tanks and machine guns.

My platton commander always repeated that a well trained ninja was able to decimate two battalions of infantry with a nail. :lol:

BTW .. here is another thread for similar topic had posted on the board ..

My platton commander always repeated that a well trained ninja was able to decimate two battalions of infantry with a nail. :lol:

BTW .. here is another thread for similar topic had posted on the board ..

The Ninja rule is:

One Ninja vs. many dudes- Ninja wins.
One dude vs. many Ninjas - Dude wins.

wnus_50cal-m2_mg_mortar_pic-jpg.jpg

_Borgnine_McHale_McHale%27s_Navy_dress_whites_1962.jpg

You nailed it right here. This was the innovation of Lieutenant Commander Quinton McHale, which should have been the actual secondary armament of the M4 and would have won the war by 1943 if it had been adopted. Sadly, sourpuss S4 logistics fiends blocked it and thus, billions died needlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back