Maaaaan..... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
....I so hate todays radio! (Sorry, just needed it out of my system! :lol:)
The reason being, that not long ago I heard a not too bad a tune here on the radio......that was until they played it 4 times an hour, now I'm sick of hearing it! Why do they have to ruin half decent things (it's not good, it's NOT rockabilly!) like that...which is sort of, acceptable to listen to...
....and why are some radio DJ's so full (Chris Moyles(?)) of themself, that they need an intro that's almost as long as the show!? Just so you know mate, YOU ARE NOT ALL THAT!!
Makes me wonder, what happened with the shows wich used to have requests etc., etc., played whatever the listeners wanted and NOT what the big fat cats around the meeting table thought was, or think is hot, are they all gone?
Pirate stations??

I could go on, but I think that you get the picture.....rant over....I need a....eeerrrmmmm....coffee!

Right with ya! I used to have a local FM station that had DJs who made the music lists for their shift and would take requests so you may hear Allman Brother's "Whippin' Post", Cars "Just what I needed" and Zappa's "Catholic girls" all in a half hour.
Granted that was over 20 years ago and they were the last station I know of with that level of individuality.

I know there were some good songs about the freedom of radio being hijacked by corporate greed. I recall The Kinks had a tune lamenting the loss of a beloved DJ but the name escapes me right now.

Try listening to Planet Rock on DAB or online.

I hate the "morning shows" and "afternoon shows" that spend more time talking about what some dweeb(ette) in Hollywood is doing and less about why I'm sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic. They'll play two songs (both of which I've heard at least once that day already), then go into another five-minute commercial spree or discussion on why ______ needs to break up with _____ or is starting their own reality show or some other drivel. Blah. I need to get a converter for my mp3 player (non-iPod) so I can listen to it in the truck. At least that way, if there's a duplicate song, its my own darn fault.

I have an mp3 player, a little Sansa 8Gb player. It's tiny, little bit bigger than a postage stamp, which I love. As far as the iPods go, if I'm going to watch a video, I'm going to do it on a much larger sized screen. Like...say...55". So listening to the radio or mp3's is all I'm ever going to use an mp3 player for. And at $30 (Black Friday sale), I gotta say its probably one of the best $30 I've spent.

My rockabilly and 50's-60's, surf CD's are spinning like never before! If I had hair, I'd be sporting a ducktail now! :lol:

RA, I only put 1 movie on it, but I have all my music, albums, downloads, etc almost 20hrs worth, and several audible books. All my cars have either a mini-stero input or a USB port that the IPOD plugs into. I can drive anywhere, listen to a book or music and never repeat one song or listen to a commercial. At home, the stereo has an IPOD dock and I have a portable player that recharges for outside. No CDs or records to lug arounds or get damaged

Last edited:
RA, they have a little thingy that allows the iPod to broadcast to your AM/FM cassette player (lmao...couldn't resist)...I think it's down around 87mhz on the FM...pretty handy to have, actually...but my Scion has a built in iPod port and I can control it from the steering wheel.

As far as the radio stations go, I agree...99% of the stations SUCK for thier repitition. Generally, the stations have a playlist of about 200 songs that they cycle through...rarely deviating from the approved list.

The Scorpions had a great song back in the 80's about radio stations...called "Media Overkill"

The "thing" these days is digital radio...it's the new frontier. All the creative people moved over to that format. It's kind of like, the way FM radio was in the early days....DJ's are experimenting with new formats, and they are not tied to commercial play lists.... because most of their revenue is subscription based.
Also...most of the good "music based" public radio stations had their government funding cut so they where forced to change their format to a conventional "public radio" format to stay in business. Take the good with the bad.

I hear ya. I tired of commercial radio long ago and can only listen to it occasionally, and then for just a short time. Same old tunes, DJ's that talk half way through the intro of the song, or cut it off before it is finished. Then ten minutes of annoying commercials. I usually just listen to a CD or just sit in silence when I am driving, very seldomly do I listen to a radio when I'm not in a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back