Macchi C 200 w.i.p.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hi everybody,
a few months ago I stared assembling the 1:32 scale kit, released by Pacific Coast Models, for Macchi C 200 fighter.
Besides her low performance and insufficient armament, the C 200 was the main fighter of Regia Aeronautica in WW2 until the better Macchi C 202 became available.

Here following you will find a few pictures of my work.
First of all I decided to make my model with the cowling open and, therefore, visible Fiat A 74-RC 38 engine.
The cylinders supplied in the kit were very "essential", so I had to discard them and replace with those taken form a resin kit made by Vector Scale Resin for PW R-1830, then I added a few pipes and this is the outcome.
DSCN0699-vi.jpg
DSCN0694-vi.jpg

Second I started working on the cockpit.
Again I discarded the resin parts supplied with the PCM kit and I rebuilt at my best all components and added a few pipes as well.
DSCN0697-vi.jpg
DSCN0700-vi.jpg

DSCN0702copy-vi.jpg

DSCN0703-vi.jpg
DSCN0707copy-vi.jpg

Third I worked on the firewall and engine support area.
DSCN0708-vi.jpg
DSCN0739-vi.jpg

I'm presently reworking ailerons and flaps.
Next will be the most challenging task.
The engine replica is on scale; the cowling supplied with the kit is on scale as well but it is also some 2 mm thick and I need to reduce this thickness down to 1 mm or less including the bulges corresponding to each cylinder.
Any comment/suggestion is more then welcome.
BR
Alberto

Looking very nice so far. :)

Suggestion.... sanding, sanding or scratch-building of the part.

Yes, I've already made a couple of resin copies, so in order to save the original cowling.
Then I think to hold it in a little late and sand the inside.
Once it will be thin enough, I think to separate individual parts and empty the inside of bulges
cowling-vi.jpg

I will see what I will manage to do!
BR
Alberto

Looking very good. What did you use for moulds? Silicon rubber?
Yes, the mould is in silicon rubber but what I did so far are just copies of the cowl you can see in the center of this picture
KitPCM2-vi.jpg

What's shown in the previous photo are the originals that I intend to replicate, hopefully I will be able to do this.
BR
Alberto

It's OK. I use the same way of obtaining copies.Excellent.:D Keep working.

Al I got the PCM 202 and 205 in the stash waiting :cry: for my attention and damn if I do not want the G55 the sweetest of the Italian birds of prey.Some nice work there!how do find these PCM kits overall on the build?Cheers Kevin

Al I got the PCM 202 and 205 in the stash waiting :cry: for my attention and damn if I do not want the G55 the sweetest of the Italian birds of prey.Some nice work there!how do find these PCM kits overall on the build?Cheers Kevin

Hi Kevin, I will try to answer your question but first I strongly recommend you to do the G55 as well, it's really the finest of WW2 Italian figters.
I did both of them and I presume you have seen my threads in the relevant session.
We as Italian modellers are grateful to Ken Lawrence because his kits are the only ones available on the market for Italian aircraft in 1:32 scale.
Generally speaking, while in developing stage Ken get the supervision on his project from one of the best Italian expert, Maurizio Di Terlizzi who is also the author of several books on Italian aeroplanes, like this one
FiatG550001-vi.jpg

I did the 205 starting from the 202 kit because the first was unavailable in Milan by that time. So I had to do some scratch building but the kit itself was very good, being a low run product.
The kit for the G 55 is a bit more "simplified" (i.e. less photo etched bits) but still a very good one.
Of course there is no comparison with some latest issues from Tamiya or Hasegawa, but PCM kits works quite well if intend any way to add some details like the DB 605 engine on the Fiat.
Of course to fit the engine you will need to do a lot of sanding, cutting etc.
I hope the above answer your question
Cheers
Alberto

Beautiful, beautiful work, Alberto. Keen attention to detail. This is going to be one honey of a model. Wish I had that kind of talent and patience.

B-17 Engineer..... build a fighter! I double dog dare you.:lol:

Hi everybody,
a few months ago I stared assembling the 1:32 scale kit, released by Pacific Coast Models, for Macchi C 200 fighter.

Hi,
here I'm again.
The Spitfire spared some of modelling time but I didn't forgot the challenge of completing my Macchi.
Here following are some pictures of my progress
DSCN0804copy-vi.jpg
DSCN0806copy-vi.jpg

DSCN0807copy-vi.jpg

DSCN0810copy-vi.jpg
DSCN0812copy-vi.jpg

DSCN0813copy-vi.jpg

Today I will probably start my trials on hot forming the new cowling parts.
Any comment/suggestion is more then welcome.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back