Made up/fictional "heavy" fighter for same country as the light fighter from that thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
This is for a fighter that's a heavy interceptor that'll be powered by a Rolls-Royce Griffon engine. Intended armament is intended to be 4 20mm cannons with 150-200 rounds, and is this country's rough equivalent to a light version of the Hawker Tempest or Fury. However, it's intended to be a bit smaller. I could even be "evolved" from the "light" fighter in terms of basic layout, but enlarged and more heavily armed.

Speed is intended to be 400+ mph, be reasonably agile given its size and armament, and be capable of undertaking ground attack missions.

What would be required to make this work?

This is for a fighter that's a heavy interceptor that'll be powered by a Rolls-Royce Griffon engine. Intended armament is intended to be 4 20mm cannons with 150-200 rounds, and is this country's rough equivalent to a light version of the Hawker Tempest or Fury. However, it's intended to be a bit smaller. I could even be "evolved" from the "light" fighter in terms of basic layout, but enlarged and more heavily armed.

Speed is intended to be 400+ mph, be reasonably agile given its size and armament, and be capable of undertaking ground attack missions.

What would be required to make this work?
It would require a government willing and able to pour zillions into building up a domestic aircraft industry capable of competing with the big boys, including aeronautics research at universities etc. etc.
As for the plane itself, seems reasonable. Maybe something roughly like a Griffon powered Mustang with 4x20mm. If ground attack is expected to be a major role, maybe switch from the ventral Mustang style radiator to an annular one.

Not related to this thread, but I do wonder what you'd think of the MiG I-220 series fighters (namely the I-225). There's a topic on this forum somewhere where I posted about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back