Marcel's photo's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
After photographing aircraft and airshows mostly, I'm now trying to broaden my view. Reason is that I discovered RAW photographing which gives you a load of opportunities. For the ones who don't know what I'm talking about: Normally a camera edits the taken pictures and saves them as jpg's. Afterwards you can of course edit them, but some things will be almost fixed like white-balance, exposure etc. This is because the jpg format is a compressed format, throwing away lots of information. Many DSL's can also store the RAW data. This exactly the data that comes from the sensor with all it's information. These you always have to edit afterwards, think of them as the negatives in analogue photography. It gives you more freedom to enhance your photo's. Disadvantages are that the files are quite large, the format has to be converted in the end to jpg because no program can display them and you need quite some skill in editing. But what the heck, I like a challenge. I still have to learn a lot.

I'm using an old Canon EO1000D with the 18-55 kitlens and a 70-300 zoomlens from Canon. My editing software is called Darktable and is Linux only. You can also edit with other programs, Adobe Lightroom is one of the best known working also on Windows, or you could try the opensource freeware program RawTherapy, which also works on Windows.

Anyway, decided to cycle to the polder in this miserable weather today. It's grey and depressing, which I hope can be seen in the pictures. Also it's a view on a typical Dutch landscape.

A little river in the polder. Locally they are called 'Els' and are the remains of earlier dyke-breaches.
IMG_7814.jpg

Sheep...
IMG_7846.jpg

Another sheep. They are used to maintain the dyke.
IMG_7838.jpg

Moles in the dyke, usually not a good sign. Enhanced the green colour of the grass.
IMG_7834.jpg

A swan outside of the dyke. I cropped this one for composition.
IMG_7832.jpg

One of the many WW2 era pillboxes on our island. Remains of the 'mighty' Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie. I liked the contrast between the grey concrete and the green moss on the roof.
IMG_7831.jpg

'My-Little-Pony'. I enhanced the greenness of the grass, giving it a slight teletubby effect.
IMG_7821.jpg

Another 'Els', and a very typical 'Polder' landscape. Sometimes you can see for many miles.
IMG_7819.jpg

A lone pillbox in the middle of the polder.
IMG_7818.jpg

In summer this tree near the Els is beautiful. Now it contrasts nicely with the trees behind it.
IMG_7848.jpg

I can recommend it Crimea. I got totally addicted to it. I don't have to care about white balance and it's also much easier to make pictures without flash light when in dark environments.

Ah, but I explained, didn't I? :lol:

Darktable's monochrome feature is awesome. B&W is not just B&W, but there are many ways to influence the way the picture is made monochrome. A little sparrow in B&W looks like this. B.t.w. found the watermark option as well.

2IMG_6485.jpg

Marcel, these are not only lovely pictures but also interesting, I'm somewhat amazed that you still have WWI Pill Boxes on the landscape. and looking at your pony pic, it looks as though that mole is really having a ball n the paddock. I also like the swan and sparrow pics, the latter with its little feathers fluttering in the wind.

Marcel, these are excellent photos sir. Love the old pillbox photo. Shooting in RAW gives you a lot freedom when it comes to editing your photos. The only draw back that I have found is the amount of space it takes to store them.

Marcel, these are not only lovely pictures but also interesting, I'm somewhat amazed that you still have WWI Pill Boxes on the landscape. and looking at your pony pic, it looks as though that mole is really having a ball n the paddock. I also like the swan and sparrow pics, the latter with its little feathers fluttering in the wind.

They are WW2 era bunkers. We've got loads of them. I do have a thread about them somewhere on the forum. I've love bunkers and forts.

It is Dordrecht. It is called an island as it is surrounded by big rivers.

The town itself is a midival town, oldest town in Holland. About 120,000 inhabitants. In ww2 we were at the south side of the 'Hollandse waterlinie' , the line that should have protected the 'Holland' part of the Netherlands. Nearby is the Moerdijk bridge, the place were we lost the war in 1940.

Last edited:
Nice stuff, Marcel. Shooting RAW does have some advantages, especially with images that are not optimal. But they do take up a lot of space. I have gone back and forth with shooting RAW because of the sheer amount of photos I take.

Nice stuff, Marcel. Shooting RAW does have some advantages, especially with images that are not optimal. But they do take up a lot of space. I have gone back and forth with shooting RAW because of the sheer amount of photos I take.

I also found that writing to the card is quite slow. which is logical if you know that one image is 30MB instead of 4-6MB. The problem occurs when shooting many pictures in fast succession. The buffer fills up, gets an overflow and the camera ends with an error. So no 'sport setting' when shooting RAW :)

It's not an issue when you're just shooting separate pics, though.

Another problem is that it consumes quite a lot of time when 'developing' the pics. It's part of the fun of course, but you don't want to do this if the pics are not that important to get right. So for the family party I will use the jpg setting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back