Markings for Captured Aircraft - RAAF (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FoxMalcolm

Recruit
Apr 29, 2013
G'day all,
I am having trouble researching this as I can't seem to find a comprehensive list anywhere.
From time to time I find images and references to captured enemy aircraft undergoing trials and evaluations at RAAF bases such as Sandgate and Archerfield, etc.
But while I can find odd random photos of captured aircraft, I can't find any lists of the planes or their markings, when/who/how they were obtained.
Does anybody know if any such lists exist?
Or do I have to trawl through all of these random photos with a magnifier and compile my own?
Also, was there a code or set of practices established for the marking of [or remarking of] captured planes other than just slapping a new roundel on it?

G'day all,
I am having trouble researching this as I can't seem to find a comprehensive list anywhere.
From time to time I find images and references to captured enemy aircraft undergoing trials and evaluations at RAAF bases such as Sandgate and Archerfield, etc.
But while I can find odd random photos of captured aircraft, I can't find any lists of the planes or their markings, when/who/how they were obtained.
Does anybody know if any such lists exist?
Or do I have to trawl through all of these random photos with a magnifier and compile my own?
Also, was there a code or set of practices established for the marking of [or remarking of] captured planes other than just slapping a new roundel on it?

There are several books out there that cover captured aircraft through a varitity of countries.
War Prizes the Album by Phil Butler
War Prizes by Phil Butler
KG 200 by Geoffrey J Thomas and Barry Ketly
On special Missions by J Richard Smith, Eddie Credk and Peter Petrick
Luftwaffe Test Pilot, Flying capture allied aircraft of WWII by Hans-Werner Lerche
Strangers in a Strange Land by Hans-Heiri Stapfer
Strangers in a Strange Land Escape to Neutrality by Hans-Werner Stapfer and Gino Kunzle
Wings of the Luftwaffe, Flying the Captured German aircraft of WWII by Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown

Hope it helps
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back