Markings for Captured Aircraft - RAAF

Discussion in 'Aircraft Markings and Camouflage' started by FoxMalcolm, Apr 29, 2013.

1. FoxMalcolm

FoxMalcolm New Member

G'day all,
    I am having trouble researching this as I can't seem to find a comprehensive list anywhere.
    From time to time I find images and references to captured enemy aircraft undergoing trials and evaluations at RAAF bases such as Sandgate and Archerfield, etc.
    But while I can find odd random photos of captured aircraft, I can't find any lists of the planes or their markings, when/who/how they were obtained.
    Does anybody know if any such lists exist?
    Or do I have to trawl through all of these random photos with a magnifier and compile my own?
    Also, was there a code or set of practices established for the marking of [or remarking of] captured planes other than just slapping a new roundel on it?

2. Micdrow

Micdrow “Archive”
    Staff Member Moderator

Manufacture Tech
    There are several books out there that cover captured aircraft through a varitity of countries.
    War Prizes the Album by Phil Butler
    War Prizes by Phil Butler
    KG 200 by Geoffrey J Thomas and Barry Ketly
    On special Missions by J Richard Smith, Eddie Credk and Peter Petrick
    Luftwaffe Test Pilot, Flying capture allied aircraft of WWII by Hans-Werner Lerche
    Strangers in a Strange Land by Hans-Heiri Stapfer
    Strangers in a Strange Land Escape to Neutrality by Hans-Werner Stapfer and Gino Kunzle
    Wings of the Luftwaffe, Flying the Captured German aircraft of WWII by Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown

Hope it helps
    Paul