Martin B-10/B-12 Bomb-Bay

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zipper730

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 9, 2015
I'm curious if there's any diagram or picture of the bomb-bays? I'm curious basically if there's a catwalk or an open space

Hi Zipper730, there was no walkway, it was open. Here are a couple of pages from the Manual showing bomb loading depending on size and a shot of the bomb bay itself.
TO-1-35A P-139.jpg
TO-1-35A P-140.jpg

This open design allowed the optional extended range fuel tank to be inserted. I hope this helps.

David

I'm always intrigued with how they employed screw jacks and lots of gear boxes to open and close bomb bay doors. B-17s had a bunch of them too. It seems it was the end of the mechanical age and the beginning of the hydraulic age. It's also why you heard some much "Whining" when the doors were actuated.

I'm always intrigued with how they employed screw jacks and lots of gear boxes to open and close bomb bay doors. B-17s had a bunch of them too. It seems it was the end of the mechanical age and the beginning of the hydraulic age. It's also why you heard some much "Whining" when the doors were actuated.

They were electrically actuated. Most powered things on Boeings were.

I believe the exception was the landing gear, which was hydraulic.

And that to this day Boeing use an electrically driven ball screw to actuate flaps, etc. (at least on their passenger aircraft).

David,

Thanks for sharing the pics at Post #3. Is the lower pic the front end or back end of the bomb bay? Also, any other photos showing the interior. These are the first I've seen that show any of the details...so I'm greedy for more! :)

Cheers,
Mark

Me too! :lol:

That is looking towards the front. The rear was open to the back allowing the crew in the back access to the bomb bay. This was helpful dropping supplies during the 1936 floods in the Northeast US and when Chinese's Martin 139WC-2s dropped leaflets over various Japanese cities including Nagasaki in 1938 (the first Allied aircraft over Japan during the war).

When I am back at my house later this week I can post some interior pics.

The DC-9 or MD-80 uses a big long screw jack in the vertical tail fin to operate the elevators. I remember an Alaskan Airlines crash years ago caused by the screw jack being worn.

The DC-9 or MD-80 uses a big long screw jack in the vertical tail fin to operate the elevators. I remember an Alaskan Airlines crash years ago caused by the screw jack being worn.
It was off the coast of California if I recall, and the jack screw actually failed, i.e. broke, from excessive wear. The whole fleet was grounded and inspected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back