Martin B-12 B-18

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dutch (NEIAF) Martin 139 (Martin B-10 export version)

Martin B-10_02.jpg

Another great pic!

That's the Model 166 (later renamed the Martin 139-WH3 for export purposes). The Dutch were the sole users with the exception of a single plane that escaped to Australia when the Dutch East Indies fell to the Japanese. The US bought it along with other Dutch aircraft and used it as a squadron hack blessed with the name of "Miss Latrine of 1930"

M585 with USAAF Australia - Small.jpg

Fantastic pics. The B10 family were the hottest of hot stuff in 1935 but such was the pace of progress it was obsolescent 5 years later and totally obsolete by December 1941. When it first came out it must have looked like an alien spaceship every other bomber (and virtually all aircraft) was a cloth Biplane

Its' really amazing to see pics of the crowds that would show up to see them then several years later those crowds would be around the B-17.

Thanks, enjoying this fascinating thread and spectacular pix some of which are totally new to me. I've always wondered if the turret was on a ball bearing ring and easily trainable, thinking they were not actually powered. But the main mystery to me is that in all of these only the Dutch example being loaded shows a gun in the front turret. Even the dorsal greenhouse rarely if ever shows any armament. I can see maybe there was air blast through that slot in the turret, but I've also seen pictures where the Brits rigged zippered baffles in similar early turrets. It seems in all the years this was in service someone would have figured that out. Why the lack of armament even on the bomb dropping practice mission shown? I know it was fast for its time, but did they really think it it could not be intercepted?

It was on ball bearings and moved by hand. For the US, because of the air blasting through the slot it became standard operating procedure to rotate the gun (or the slot) rearward while flying. This was one of the issues the Russians complained about when they bought the first export copy.

fm is absolutely correct about the gun storage.

The bottom gun was stowed away as such:
1607709999522.png

The dorsal gun would not be seen unless the canopy was folded (139W3) or rotated (139 & 146) down and the gun moved rearward:
1607710137217.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It was on ball bearings and moved by hand. For the US, because of the air blasting through the slot it became standard operating procedure to rotate the gun (or the slot) rearward while flying. This was one of the issues the Russians complained about when they bought the first export copy.

fm is absolutely correct about the gun storage.

The bottom gun was stowed away as such:
View attachment 604642

The dorsal gun would not be seen unless the canopy was folded (139W3) or rotated (139 & 146) down and the gun moved rearward:
View attachment 604643
Great views that clear up a big mystery for me. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back