eBay: Martin B-10

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Part 1
martin b10_01.jpg
martin b10_02.jpg
martin b10_03.jpg
martin b10_04.jpg
martin b10_05.jpg

Last edited:
I think that last one is the tail of the Boeing XB-15. Could some of these have been taken at Mitchel Field on Long Island? Sure looks like it. Thanks again for more great pictures! :shock:

Dear Friends: I have followed close this thread about the "Martin B10", and I want to share some information that seems you didn't know...
Did you know that the Martin B10 (The LAST in the world) exhibited in the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio, it was gave to the US museum for the Argentine Air Army? That's right, this last B10 don't flew for the USAF, it flew for the Argentine Air Force. if you want pictures and more explanation, you can go to this link (in Spanish, sorry):
Glenn Martin 139 (B-10) | Foros Zona Militar
I hope this information be useful for you...thanks!!!

Hello , I saw a photo some years ago , I don't have a copy , but made a rough sketch of emblem, and I'm trying to find out what "Squadron" this unit was, I'll describe it here as best I can and hope a B-10 lover can help me nail it down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The photo had two B-10 aircraft with 6 crewman/pilots wearing jackets, two of them are wearing the 30th Bombardment Squadron patch on them, the design on the two B-10's in the photo is as follows, round background with a thin outer border, inside in lower "half" of inner design is a globe/disc divided vertically in half by line, over this is a "winged" aircraft , it appears to be a Douglas OA-3/4 type amphibian,just below to the right of the aircraft is a small aerial bomb and a star, t the upper right of aircraft are 7 stars in the shape of the "Dipper" formation and to the upper left there's a star between the wings of the aircraft , above the globe area there's a sky field of solid color , the globe halves are two separate colors .

I would greatly appreciate any help with the ID of this emblem, it has bugged me for many years since I first saw it , I believe it was a unit assigned to the 30th Bomb Sqd, but have no idea of which it could have been , thank you for reading this note and I really hope to hear from someone on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny
[email protected]

The 7 stars in the shape of the dipper were used on the aircraft flown in the Alaskan Flight of 1934 (it's the Alaskan state flag). I am having a hard time visualizing the emblem, anyway you can post the pic you drew?

Is this by chance what you are talking about?
Alaska 1.JPG

Last edited:
Imagine a 3/4 side view of the Douglas "Dolphin" amphibian aircraft, now instead of normal "wings" it has bird type wings in an upward 'V" like shape ,to the right the "dipper" and just below the plane to right a aerial bomb and between the wings of the plane a single large star , below the aircraft is a upper half of a sphere'globe shape with a verticle line downward from it's middle , the area above the globe would be a sky/space background of a solid color . all on a round background with a thin outer border.
Johnny
If you PM me your regular mailing address I can send you a copy .

I think the B-10 was a beautiful plane. My uncle flew in the Alaskan flight of 1934. He was a a Radioman Staff Sergeant in those days, normally stationed at Langley Field, VA, where he met my aunt. I spotted him in a picture posted in the historical display at the Elmendorf Air Force Base Hospital in Anchorage. He was with the 2d Bombardment Group that made many historic flights in the 30s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2d_Operations_Group:

On 4 March 1937, the group received the first of 12 B-17 Flying Fortresses delivered to the U.S. Army Air Corps. A goodwill tour to Argentina by six B-17s in February 1938 and a flight to Colombia by three B-17s in August of the same year highlighted the late 1930s. The trip to Buenos Aires represented the longest distance performance of its kind on record and won the group the Mackay Trophy in 1938. A second MacKay trophy was won in February of the following year when a crew flew medical supplies aboard the XB-15 to Chile following a catastrophic earthquake.

The group also achieved a well-publicized success on 12 May 1938, when three B-17s, led by group commander Lt. Col. Robert Olds and navigated by 1st Lt. Curtis E. LeMay, intercepted the Italian ocean liner Rex over 600 miles at sea during a training exercise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back