eBay: Martin B-10

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Jim for the suggestions. The pic I posted I had acquired from my Smithsonian trip but perhaps they would know more. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!

Exerpt from the article:

"Two round pieces reshaped from spare wheels were to form the prop spinner guards as depicted in photos which I had at my disposal of the version I was building. Apparently this was to protect the aircraft engines as it was on snow/ bush terrain missions unless these were heaters of some sort."

I think that would be an odd place for some type of heater. The only time I've ever seen the aircraft equipped with these is when there was snow on the ground so I think it has something to do with winter. The pics were towards the end of the life cycle for front-line use of the aircraft and during it's life cycle the aircraft was commonly flown from rough fields so I would think it would be unusual that just now (7 years after introduction) they installed something to help protect the engine.

How logical would it be that this was to limit the airflow over the engine to help it stay warm?

Seeking colors for the patch worn by Henry "Hap Arnold and all the pilots on the Martin B-10 mission flown out of Bolling Filed DC to Fairbanks Alaska in 1934 , photo below on left shows the patch , also photo of "Hap" wearing it on his jacket and Grouping of the flight crews also all wearing the same patch , Not wanting the aircraft nose art version as it varied quite a bit from the "patch" if you compare them closely ........

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    567 KB · Views: 200
  • post-2011-0-13222200-1399574802.jpg
    post-2011-0-13222200-1399574802.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Logo+B.jpg
    Logo+B.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 207
Will that delay the book?

Not because of this, the book will not have 300+ pages so it's grown a bit. Every time I get near to being finished I find even more stuff to include. Still shooting by the end of the year.

Thanks again for the lead Buff!!! I've been in contact with Mr Vincent who has graciously allowed me to not only use that pic but gave me another one as well. He's written a series of books on the Hudson in RAAF service that look very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back