eBay: Martin B-10

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not because of this, the book will not have 300+ pages so it's grown a bit. Every time I get near to being finished I find even more stuff to include. Still shooting by the end of the year.

Thanks again for the lead Buff!!! I've been in contact with Mr Vincent who has graciously allowed me to not only use that pic but gave me another one as well. He's written a series of books on the Hudson in RAAF service that look very interesting.

Mr Vincent's books on RAAF use of the Hudson are very well regarded and recognized as the definitive history of the type's use by that Service. I'm still struggling to find a cope of Volume 1 that's reasonably affordable.

Sign me up for a copy of your B-10 book when it comes out. I'm definitely in for one!

A wet one:

B-12.jpg

B-12001.jpg

B-12002.jpg

Chris

Is it just because of the angle that the photo was taken? I can't check the original Wings/Airpower article as most of my references are in storage right now, pending the completion/repairs from some minor sewage backup into my basement man-cave.

Chris

Great pics!

Post #63 The first 2 pics were taken at the North Beach Airport on Long Island NY on it's test flight. The ramp (built by the Brooklyn Navy Yard) was really interesting as it contained a 45ft (13.7m) turntable. The ramp would sink and the aircraft would float off. When returning it would stop over the ramp and ramp and plane would rise. The turntable would then rotate to point the aircraft back towards the water.

The 3rd picture I believe was taken at the EDO Factory

The first link in post #67 was taken at West Point.
The 2nd and 4th link were taken at Hampton Roads when General Frank Andrews with crew members Radio Operator Harold Johnson and SSgt Joseph Moran were about to set 3 world records for a float plane on August 24th, 1935.
The 3rd is the only pic I have ever seen of it anchored (to a buoy in a river with it's special engine covers on). I believe at Hampton Roads but I'm not sure.

All the pics are of the same plane though the strut layout did change during the initial installation at the EDO Factory and it was the only one made. They did evaluate it versus the Douglas YB-11 and if either of them were to be purchased it recommended the YB-11. The floats were later removed and it was converted back into a land plane.

Great pics!

Post #63 The first 2 pics were taken at the North Beach Airport on Long Island NY on it's test flight. The ramp (built by the Brooklyn Navy Yard) was really interesting as it contained a 45ft (13.7m) turntable. The ramp would sink and the aircraft would float off. When returning it would stop over the ramp and ramp and plane would rise. The turntable would then rotate to point the aircraft back towards the water.

The 3rd picture I believe was taken at the EDO Factory

The first link in post #67 was taken at West Point.
The 2nd and 4th link were taken at Hampton Roads when General Frank Andrews with crew members Radio Operator Harold Johnson and SSgt Joseph Moran were about to set 3 world records for a float plane on August 24th, 1935.
The 3rd is the only pic I have ever seen of it anchored (to a buoy in a river with it's special engine covers on). I believe at Hampton Roads but I'm not sure.

All the pics are of the same plane though the strut layout did change during the initial installation at the EDO Factory and it was the only one made. They did evaluate it versus the Douglas YB-11 and if either of them were to be purchased it recommended the YB-11. The floats were later removed and it was converted back into a land plane.

Thanks for the intel.

Chris

Dear Friends: I have followed close this thread about the "Martin B10", and I want to share some information that seems you didn't know...
Did you know that the Martin B10 (The LAST in the world) exhibited in the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio, it was gave to the US museum for the Argentine Air Army? That's right, this last B10 don't flew for the USAF, it flew for the Argentine Air Force. if you want pictures and more explanation, you can go to this link (in Spanish, sorry):
Glenn Martin 139 (B-10) | Foros Zona Militar
I hope this information be useful for you...thanks!!!

I've been to the USAF Museum in Dayton. Blows away any other aerospace museum I've ever seen, including National Air and Space Museum, both on the Mall and Udvar-Hazy. The B-10 and the open gondola from which Joseph Kittinger skydived from 103,000 feet back in 1960 were the two most exciting exhibits for me. Though sometimes the US sold older retired aircraft to other countries, you are correct, this particular B-10 was the 139W, the export version, so sold new to another country. I'm not sure if Argentina was the original operator or just the final one. I know some people here have said the B-10 is odd looking, but I am partial to it. It reminds me of a transitional fossil, if you will, a precursor of a later object we are already familiar with, demonstrating its lineage. Amazing what a quantum leap it was from its immediate precursors, the old Keystone bombers which were barely out of World War I, and yet how in less than 5 years it would be obsolete. I have a B-10 model kit my stepson and I were going to work on together, but never got around to, may have to finally assemble it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back