Martin-Baker MB 5

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Baizer84

Recruit
Oct 25, 2012
What could have been with this beautiful machine? I know it just came along to late to see much use but how could it have done in a combat role? In my opinion, it was the most beautiful aircraft of WW2.

Kinda looks like the love child of P51D and a Spit XIV, doesn't it? Alas, another couldabeen, rendered obslete overnight by that bloody Frank Whittle..

I don't know about this but I do know that it was HIGHLY regarded by test pilots.

Well, the MB5 was said to handle quite well, but that doesn't mean it was better than the Spitfire 21/22/24.

• The MB5 had the same top speed as the Spitfire, within 2 or 3 mph, using the same engine
  • The MB5 outrolled the Spitfire, but
  • The Spitfire out-turned the MB5
  • The Spitfire out-climbed the MB-5 by a good margin
  • The MB5 may have had a longer range, but it was not that much more

Supermarine's Spiteful, which appeared around the same time, was faster with the same engine.

basically i thought the spiteful was used as a test bed for the wings etc as used on the attacker or am i wrong,it was the seafang that was one development too far

basically i thought the spiteful was used as a test bed for the wings etc as used on the attacker or am i wrong,it was the seafang that was one development too far

No, the Spiteful was always the intended recipient of Supermarine's laminar flow wing. Supermarines had been working on the wing from mid war - '41 or '42 IIRC, that is long before the Attacker was conceived. Actually, the Attacker was conceived as the Jet Spiteful.

The Seafang was an attempt to find a market for the Spiteful, as the RAF was moving into jets.

Whether or not the Spiteful/Seafang was as good as the Spitfire/Seafire is kind of a moot point - the latter were already in production, and by the time the former could be put into production there would be no need for them.

MB aircraft were designed with maintenance in mind, the mechanics loved them! Lots of access panels with nothing hidden away in inaccessible nooks and crannies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back