Martin Drewes dies in Brazil

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stona

Major
Mar 28, 2009
I just heard that Martin Drewes died in Brazil on the 13th of this month.
Another of the great WW2 aces moves on.
Steve

:salute:

Rest in peace! Blues skies and tailwinds.

I think all of these men regardless of their nationality shoukd be honored.

Unfortunately I think that too few people agree with that.

I think we should celebrate the passing of all German Aces.

Celebrate, as in "Wohoo, about damn time he died. The world is a better place without him."?

If so, WOW! I will say nothing else...

Last edited:
OK before this degenerates into something we all don't want. I just want to say that it is my understanding from spending years on this wonderful forum that we respect all opinions here and well gents, I imagine that some believe that they (German Aces) were acting in the interests of a regime that was so bad that even in our PC world no one complains when they are made the bad guys in movies. The ambiguity of who started the war does not apply here, as it perhaps does for WWI. For my part I honestly don't know how I feel. But maybe protesting the Fatherland (from people you attacked) is not as noble as it sounds.

It just struck me that a reasonable question to ask yourself this this:

Would we be as enamored with their accomplishments if they had won the war? And we all lived under that type of government? Super unlikely I know but, I find it equally unlikely that these same German aces would have taken a stand against the Nazi Regime and demanded that they abandon some of their more wicked practices post war.

Last edited:
A man who did his bit to defend his country, right or wrong, has died. For me that is not a cause a cause for celebration but remembrance.

Each to their own, that's their right. Isn't that sort of why we were fighting?

Cheers
Steve

A man who did his bit to defend his country, right or wrong, has died. For me that is not a cause a cause for celebration but remembrance.

Cheers
Steve

Ding, ding, ding...

Tell him what he had won Johnny! :)

if the guys who flew against them in the skies over europe didnt have a problem with them after the war....even to the point of inviting them to their reunions...i sure cant hold a grudge.

Cheers
Steve

Once again Steve, you've articulated so well exactly what is in my head but that I am not able to express as succinctly. An honourable soldier on any side deserves remembrance in my view.

My grandfather fought in the German Navy as a medic in WW2, my dad served in the RAF and my mom was a member of the Jungvolk (Hitler Youth for youngster), my wife on the other hand is black.
So who should I hate, my grandfather, who was drafted and did his duty, my dad's country for carpet bombing and killing unnecessary amounts of civilians, my mother for joining and organization everyone joined back then and considered a form of boy- and girl scout and later in the war became mandatory. Or should I hate all the Southerners who (some still) discriminate against Blacks? And btw, I am serving in the US Army, so should I hate them for killing poor Muslims, or should I hate them for killing poor Infidels.
You have a handful of dirty, corrupt leaders and they rule the majority. It has been that way for eons; it will be that way for eons. Of course, one can resist them and then just get killed and hopefully not get his whole family annihilate in the process.
I hate it when people who have never fought (and even some that did) show contempt to those who did their duty and fought for their family. I am not talking about war criminals, but the average Joe, who did what he was told to do.

Just my input, please don't get offended.

Danny

"When it comes to the pinch, human beings are heroic."...........George Orwell

"human beings", not members of any particular race or nation. Orwell was right.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back