Masking Tape Residue Removal??

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vengeance

Airman
Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Guys,
Long time lurker, fairly new to forum posting, but I have a question that needs answering.:?:

I've found masking tape (tamiya brand) glue residue on my paint work after removing the tape. My first reaction was to try and dab some thinners with a cotton bud on the said residue in an attempt to remove it however a voice deep in the back of my head screamed "STOP. You will damage your beautiful paintwork!!!" So I'm wondering what would work, Isopropyl Alchohol? Eucalyptus Oil? Hot Water?? I'm not sure so I though I'd throw it out to you guys!!

Any assistance would be appreciated!! :confused:

I have used Goo Gone. Sparingly mind you and it works pretty good. The trick to not leaving tape residue is not to leave it on the model any longer than absolutely necessary. Just make sure that if you use the Goo Gone, that it is dry before you lay any paint down. And you might go back over said area with a water dampened lintless clothe to remove any residue from the goo gone. I have also used 3M's Adhesive Remover but again, use it sparingly. It is more paintable.

Thanks for swift response Aaron, never heard of that product, not sure if shops over here stock it, will keep it in mind as a last resort!
Was hoping for a home remedy type answer, surely there is something in my laundry or back shed or other household cupboard that would work!

WD-40 on a Q-tip but sparingly and you'll need the alcohol to then remove the WD-40 oil. Next time try FROG TAPE (Green painters tape) if you can find it in Oz. No residue and the adhesive reacts with paint to form a seal so no paint creep.
Masking tapes "dry out" with time best to store them in plastic zip-lock bags

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 145
Viking, I use Enamels, a mix of brands, mainly Humbrol, that's why thinners was a no go.
Thanks for the reply Mike, will try the WD-40 and Alcohol method see how it goes,
Anyone else got a home remedy, maybe we can get a list of good methods, tried and true!!
Thanks for help so far, I'll let you know how it went!!

Cool, just remember WD-40 contains a lot of solvents so if you go that route, make sure you test it out first. I have had it darken light colored paint but Mike might have been better at it than I was.

Either way, GOOD LUCK!

First try a bit of masking tape to pick up the residue. Holding the tape around one finger, press the tape on the reidue and lift quick, just dabbing at it bit by bit!!!!!!

I remove any residue from enamel paints with a cotton bud moistened with meths (methylated spirits). You won't need to overwork it and shouldn't damage the paint.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the advice guys,
Will try the masking tape method first (I'm guessing its sorta like removing lint from a jumper type technique) see how that goes and save the Metho method for back up!
Cheers again guys!

Methylated spirits or denatured alcohol is a mix of methyl (wood) alcohol and ethyl (grain) alcohol the vapors are HIGHLY flamable so exercise care and keep well ventilated and away from ANY ignition source (e.g., hot water heater in a basement). I think that you are going to find that you need something oil based. Plain old cooking oil works as well and there are no solvents to worry about. Again use the alcohol to remove the oil residue

Methylated spirits or denatured alcohol is a mix of methyl (wood) alcohol and ethyl (grain) alcohol the vapors are HIGHLY flamable so exercise care and keep well ventilated and away from ANY ignition source (e.g., hot water heater in a basement).

And therefore smoking isn't recommended as well. :lol: So I would suggest using an ordinary white ereser..

21500-0000-1-3ww-l.jpg

Yep. And to prevent residue in the future, pull a length of tape between finger and thumb, whilst exerting pressure on the tape. This will remove some of the excess 'tack', and prevent it remaining on the surface.
Given the enamel paint has hardened properly, if the eraser doesn't remove the adhesive residue, and it should, then a soft cloth, dampened with thinners, meths or even lighter fluid, quickly and lightly rubbed over the area,should do the job without damage.

I usually use the tape method, re-dabbing it and seeing if it removes anything,

Then I prepare a 9 water to 1 hand soap ratio and use a coton bud to dab at the residue, usually it is gone by then :D

Bill, except you could get electrocuted! Try pulling some off in a very dark room but wait a bit for your eyes to adapt before you try it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back