Mass Graves found on Iwo Jima (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"Mass Grave" has negative connotations. I hope the public realizes that under combat conditions, mass graves are usually the only option.

Tokyo 22 October 2010:

Two mass graves that may hold the remains of up to 2,000 Japanese soldiers have
been discovered on the island of Iwo Jima, one of the bloodiest and most iconic battlesites
of World War II, a report and officials said today.

A team of Japanese searchers has discovered 51 remains in two areas listed by the U.S. military
after the war as enemy cemeteries, one of which could contain as many as 2,000 bodies, Japan's
Kyodo news agency said today.

The discovery of the remains would be one of the biggest breakthroughs in decades toward
finding the bodies of roughly 12,000 Japanese who remain missing and presumed dead after
the 1945 battle on the island.

This from The [Norfolk] Virginian Pilot.

Charles

ccheese

there is another thread on the same subject which you obviously didnt see. Having read about Iwo Jima and seen a recent documentary it is hard to believe any mass grave is not known about because the place is so small. I think it is more about doing things correctly with respect to the deceased

While the island is only 7.5 square miles in size, there was also over 15 miles of tunnels beneath it. I would imagine within the maze of tunnels, there may have been a large pile of dead. In the fog of war, there are times when things just get left and forgotten.

maybe the japanese lady and her sister in the thread about mementos will finally be able to have their father come home. i certainly hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back