Matchbox 1/72 Stranraer improvement (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
I am thinking of starting work on my Matchbox Stranraer and I have a vague memory that some work needed doing to make the kit as an RAF version. Possibly different engines.

The story I remember was that Matchbox had measured up a Canadian version for the moulds as no RAF version existed. I might have it wrong as Google hasn't got me anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as my brain is not working properly due to being on hayfever medicine.

Thanks Wurger Wurger I havent read all of the thread but it seems to be about Canadian Stranraers. I want to build an RAF Stranraer and wondering what changes I need to make to the kit to make it.

As far as my fuzzy head can remember Matchbox based the kit on a Stranraer at Hendon museum which was an Canadian built ex RCAF Queen Charlotte Airways version which had been modified to have Wright Cyclones and a cargo door. I am trying to find out if I need to make any changes to the kit to represent an RAF version.

So far I have found I need to make recesses in the lower wing to fit Universal Bomb Carriers and possibly change the props to 2 bladed wood or 3 bladed Fairey Reed metal props as the kit props look to be Hamilton Standard.

Ah yes , you are right. The Stranraer at Hendon is teh Canadian built one.

Here some info on the RAF one...

SS.jpg

the source: Supermarine Stranraer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back