Matt Clear (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What do you guys use for Matt Clear? I use Dullcote, but I've noticed as of late (I don't know if it's gotten worse or if I've just been paying more attention) that it doesn't really dull anything down.

I currently use Humbrols Matt Varnish but it isn't very good.I was told to get dullcote (yet to track any down) but if u reckon it isn't any good either then I don't know what to use!
Cheers,
Tony.

The dullcote works quite good with paints that are greatly matt. Concerning the Huimbrol Matt varnish it should be used the one in bottles but not in cans.. Judging by your words you apply the matt varnishes too much thinned. Do you use an airbrush for that? If yes it is the reason. These matt varnishes shouldn't be thinned too much.Simply you need to set the higher air pressure for them. Also it is better if you airbrush these from a little bit longer distance than you apply paints.Let a varnish "dust" settle down with its own weight.

What do you guys use for Matt Clear? I use Dullcote, but I've noticed as of late (I don't know if it's gotten worse or if I've just been paying more attention) that it doesn't really dull anything down.

Future mixed with Tamiya Flat Base. The mix depends on the finish I want.

Matt finish: 3 parts Future to 1 part Tamiya flat base
Satin finish: 10 parts Future to 1 part Tamiya flat

I've also used Polly Scale Matt and Gunze Sangyo Matt as well with the matching gloss coats from the same manufacturers.

Last edited:
I'm with Wojtek regarding the effects and use of the matt varnishes, particularly Humbrol (enamel) which i used for around 35 years or more.
ALL matt varnishes require thorough stirring before use, every time, and then again immediately before use. This is due to the matting agent settling out in the carrier base, oil or acrylic. Even then, the matting agent sometimes doesn't integrate fully, and can lead to a semi-matt finish, or even a patchy, matt and almost gloss finish. Also, enamel or polyurethane varnishes tend to 'yellow' after a period of time.
About three years ago I started using Johnson's Klear (Future) mixed with Tamiya flat base, as Dwight does. This can produce any combination from just off gloss, down to full, dead matt, depending on the mix. It can be brushed or airbrushed, without thinning, and does not yellow.
Another big advantage is the cost, probably a 50th of the horrendous cost of acrylic clear coats in their small bottles!

I use Poly Scale Flat Finish and it works well enough I guess but I'm sure if I was to try mixing my own like Dwight I could get the same effect for a fraction of the cost.

IALL matt varnishes require thorough stirring before use, every time, and then again immediately before use. This is due to the matting agent settling out in the carrier base, oil or acrylic. !

Ah,I have a sneaking suspicion that I haven't been stirring mine properly..:oops:

You'll need to really stir it very well Tony, especially enamel. Then, immediately before use, stir it again! If you're brushing it on, it's normally better to put a small amount into a pallette of some kind - a coffe jar lid for example, give it a stir with the brush, wipe-off the excess (on the brush) on the edge of the pallette, then brush on, and 'lay off' fully.

Hi Guys, as you talk about matt varnishes, i want to ask you something. Is it possible after you have matt varnished your model, a few months later the model to turn to gloss? This happened to a friend of mine, he sprayed matt varnish as the final touch and after a few months he surprisingly saw his model to turn to gloss, no matt finish any more. How did that happen? Has anyone any idea on what may caused that? The matt varnish was the Gunze one H20 Flat clear.

All the best, John

Hi Guys, as you talk about matt varnishes, i want to ask you something. Is it possible after you have matt varnished your model, a few months later the model to turn to gloss? This happened to a friend of mine, he sprayed matt varnish as the final touch and after a few months he surprisingly saw his model to turn to gloss, no matt finish any more. How did that happen? Has anyone any idea on what may caused that? The matt varnish was the Gunze one H20 Flat clear.

All the best, John

I use Gunze H20 and have not had that problem at all...that seems rather strange??
Don't know why that would happen...

Don't know what could have caused the matt to go gloss, apart from 'blooming', which would normally happen within hours of it drying thoroughly. Maybe it's been coated in some airborne 'haze' - plant sap, smoke, something similar? Check the underside of the model - if it's still matt, or mostly, then it's probably something in the air.

I've still got the 'old', original stuff BT, which is clear.Haven't used the new Pledge Klear or whatever it's called, but apparently it looks milky until used, when it dries clear.
Test some on a piece of scrap first, to see if the mix is satisfactory, and that it does dry clear.

Daft question here - is Klear meant to be clear? I've just mixed up a batch to Dwight's recipe from a bottle I have had unopened for about a year and the result is a milky tan colour :|

I've still got the 'old', original stuff BT, which is clear.Haven't used the new Pledge Klear or whatever it's called, but apparently it looks milky until used, when it dries clear.
Test some on a piece of scrap first, to see if the mix is satisfactory, and that it does dry clear.

The stuff I just bought (less than a year ago) is not quite absolutely clear. It has a very very very slight off-white cast to it - but not enough to make it opaque or milky. You can still see thru the bottle. It still dries perfectly clear.

If your bottle is opaque or seriously cloudy it might be bad. I honestly couldn't tell you without seeing a pic. The mixture of Klear and Tamiya flat base might be a slightly bit milky depending on the ratio used but it does dry clear. If you're unsure, try Terry's suggestion and test it first. If it doesn't dry clear, ithe clear coat can be easily removed with Windex.

Last edited:
Agree with Dwight. Forgot to mention that, even with the 'old' Klear/ Future, the addition of Flat Base makes it go slightly opaque/milky, but it dries clear. If, after drying, it has a thin, white or very pale grey appearance, then there is too much Flat Base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back