Maximum G Loading evaluations... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ernst

Airman
May 4, 2009
Im searching about structural resistance of WWII fighters against g-loadings. I would like any charts, pictures, manuals etc. Like this one on p-51:

p51d.jpg

Would like info about P-51, FW 190, Spitfire and 109.

Last edited:
Difficult to find it! And how about a list of limit load factor on several aircraft? I found a matchcad simplified procedure to draw this pictures, but i need some aircraft parameters.

I do not known if it is valid for WWII aircraft but I d like to play with that formulas. As a check we could draw it for P-51 and compare with the picture above. If someone do this first please post your results here.

I need for each aircraft Gross Wing Area, Gross Weight, Maximun Wing Lift Coeficient, Limit Load Factor and Air Density. Post it for some of them. See this link: Click Here

I checked manuals area and cannot find the values for all this parameters.

Last edited:
Ernst, you seem to be doing some very good stuff. I understand a little of the calculations shown in the page you reference. But I need to study a great deal more.

My interest is the Avro Lancaster. I would like to see data for the Lanc similar to that of the P-51 you have presented.
My problems at the moment are with resonance and inertia.
Best wishes
Mike

Ernst, the only thing I could suggest is check throughout the forum for threads that compare various aircraft against others such as "P-51 vs Fw 190". Many members while discussing the attributes of the planes in question provide source material such as you are asking. One member , Hohun I believe does some very fine graphs. Thats about the best advice I can give. Those graphs are here, it just take a little bit of investigating. Good luck!

Difficult to find it! And how about a list of limit load factor on several aircraft? I found a matchcad simplified procedure to draw this pictures, but i need some aircraft parameters.

I do not known if it is valid for WWII aircraft but I d like to play with that formulas. As a check we could draw it for P-51 and compare with the picture above. If someone do this first please post your results here.

I need for each aircraft Gross Wing Area, Gross Weight, Maximun Wing Lift Coeficient, Limit Load Factor and Air Density. Post it for some of them. See this link: Click Here

I checked manuals area and cannot find the values for all this parameters.

Most US WWII fighters were designed to 8g limit/12 g ultimate - positive vertical load and 1/2 of that for negative vertical loads. In the example above the plot is for the Mustang at 8000 pounds gross weight. If the airplane was heavier (like a P-51D at at takeoff (say 10,600) the limit load woul be ~64,000/10,600 or ~ 6g vertical (positive axis)..

The Limit speed in a dive was determined by flight test and represents the limit Q load or maximum dynamic pressure loads (1/2 * rho * V*V)

Rho, the air density, is a function of altitude (both pressure and temp). The value presented in your link is the air density at 59.0 degrees F. The value for pound sec squared/cubic foot is .002377*(Psl/Palt)*(Talt/Tsl) -see below.

- for all other heights (up to 36,089 feet, you need to correct for density altitude pressure and Temp. For density in lb sec squared/cubic foot = .00237*(P/P")*(T*/T) where P and T are the reference seal level valuse and P* and T* are the values at the altitude you are solving for - all available in tables for Atmospheric values.

Last the values apply to non compressible flow regimes ~ .5 Mach is the approximate threshold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back