Mc or Mac before the surname

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Roman it is a bit confusing. my mother in-laws familie was MacWilliams when they settled from Scotland to the USA of A they were ordered to change it just plain Williams, like my mothers side that is Baer or Bär according to laws of sorts in Illinois so many years ago when they settled to become Americans they were told to turn their name to Bear, which they did not ! Mac is a surname for ........dang I cannot remember

>MacWilliams? That's a Scottish and a Welsh name together!

Hm ... for a moment I thought MacSimowitz was Scottish and Serbian together ;)

Mac or Mc in Scottish Gaelic means "son of".

There is no historical difference between Mac or Mc - they were originally used interchangeably and ancestry research on a particular family will often show records in one spelling , then later another. It is only in the latter half of the 1800's and in the 1900's that people started to get rather precious about " their" particular spelling of the surname.

Hi Lucky,

>It is only in the latter half of the 1800's and in the 1900's that people started to get rather precious about " their" particular spelling of the surname.

Was it always used like a surname? One of my ancestors was an Ole Andersen (son of Anders) from Norway, and googling for family trees, I found one (different, unfortunately) Ole Andersen whose father's name had been Anders Olsen. Easy to guess the grandfather's name! :)

So I wonder if the Scottish usage of Mac was at some time in history similar to the Scandinavian usage ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Lucky,

>It is only in the latter half of the 1800's and in the 1900's that people started to get rather precious about " their" particular spelling of the surname.

Was it always used like a surname? One of my ancestors was an Ole Andersen (son of Anders) from Norway, and googling for family trees, I found one (different, unfortunately) Ole Andersen whose father's name had been Anders Olsen. Easy to guess the grandfather's name! :)

So I wonder if the Scottish usage of Mac was at some time in history similar to the Scandinavian usage ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

I'd say so yes... You still find Anderson, Johnson here, I gues that you can find some linkage with the Scandinavians here and there, both in surnames and in the name of places around here...

But as far as I know Mac and Mc has been going on for a long time, far back in history...

Mac or Mc in Scottish Gaelic means "son of".

There is no historical difference between Mac or Mc - they were originally used interchangeably and ancestry research on a particular family will often show records in one spelling , then later another. It is only in the latter half of the 1800's and in the 1900's that people started to get rather precious about " their" particular spelling of the surname.

Thanks for the clear answer Lucky!!!:thumbleft:

Hi Lucky,

>But as far as I know Mac and Mc has been going on for a long time, far back in history...

Was it always an inherited surname that remained "fixed" for several generations, or was it possible that the grandfather was named Douglas MacGregor, the son Robert MacDouglas and the grandson Gregor MacDouglas?

That would be the Scandinavian pattern, but from what I've read about Scottish history, it might be a different concept, or at least the surnames became "fixed" much earlier than in Scandinavia.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Thanks for the clear answer Lucky!!!:thumbleft:
No problem buddy, you're most welcome!

Hi Lucky,

>But as far as I know Mac and Mc has been going on for a long time, far back in history...

Was it always an inherited surname that remained "fixed" for several generations, or was it possible that the grandfather was named Douglas MacGregor, the son Robert MacDouglas and the grandson Gregor MacDouglas?

That would be the Scandinavian pattern, but from what I've read about Scottish history, it might be a different concept, or at least the surnames became "fixed" much earlier than in Scandinavia.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

I think that it was pretty much fixed, the surname... If, as you put it, the grandfather Douglas MacGregor had a son, he'd still be a MacGregor....
I have no idea when "fixed" surnames like our Andersson, Johnsson, Persson, Eriksson etc. started in Sweden and similar names in Scandinavia, but I'd guess that it was rather early....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back