ME-109 headrest

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

KevinK.

Airman
Aug 30, 2010
Belleville, IL
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this or not. What I thought was interesting about this clip is that about the :50 sec. mark the crewman takes the pilots hat, lifts forward the head rest and puts the hat back there. I'm sorry if I seem a bit slow. I thought that was a single piece of armor plate...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFO25DYaTvs

So did I, but it's cool to learn about this.
Now I better understand what Johannes Steinhoff writes in one of his books:
His squadron had to leave Sicily, and he put the puppy that he had been given, behind his head rest.
Later, during the flight, he and his men encountered the enemy during the flight, but managed to escape.
When he landed, he suddenly remembered that he had tucked the puppy in behind the head rest, and he got the dog out - it was of course terrified, the poor thing. :)
But now that description makes a lot more sense, even though I'm not sure just exactly what I had imagined when I read that particular passage. *scratches head*
Anyway, thanks for sharing. :thumbleft:

It's not the headrest that he moved but the hatch on the sloped section of fuselage under the rear triangular section of glazing. There's a small storage compartment there. Maria, you should see this molded on your Tamiya kit on part number A27.

Yep. The head armour was fixed, with two angled, steel brackets near the top, and two joining the bottom to the bottom sill of the canopy, and weighed quite a bit, over 18lb IIRC. The hatch in the rear bulkhead was nominally a 'luggage locker', and is where the engine starter crank handle was normally stored, held in 'Jubilee' clips, and also had access to the fuel tank pressure vent. It was, of course, also used for such things as the pilot's service cap, with other luggage, such as a small bag for personal kit on a transit flight, being wedged into the radio compartment hatch. (the first aid kit was also stored here, on the inner face of the hatch cover, and, in the tropical version, a Kar98K rifle and ammo, and water and emergency rations, were also stored here.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back