Me-109 in a wind tunnel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
I dont know if these have been posted. If you like the -109, I think you will enjoy it.

Me-109 a.jpg
Me-109 b.jpg
Me-109 c.jpg

The second two pictures were taken in a wind tunnel at Luftfahrtforschungsanstalt Hermann Goering c. 1940.
It's just outside Braunschweig and I believe some of the buildings survive and are in use today.

Here's another oft published photo which also gives a good sense of scale.

109WT_zps2108788d.gif

The plaque visible on the wall in the second picture posted was translated somewhere as

"Through conquest of the air the German people will assure their place in the world."

Cheers

Steve

Or did the plaque actually read "Through conquest with our towels, we will assure our place by the pool"........

Very cool pics. Thanks for posting these.

That Me in the first picture is a odd one, looks like a F fuselage with a E wing.
And why no horizontal stabilizer ?

The first two Bf 109F prototypes V-21 and V-22 kept the trapeziform wing of the Bf 109E. The Span however was reduced by 61 cm. V-22 used the DB 601E. The smaller wingspan proved bad however and therefore on the V-23 had the Semi-Elliptical wings. V-24 had the trapeziform wing tips. All 3 prototypes had the more aerodynamic cleaned up nose of the Bf 109F and beyond.

Last edited:
I have a question on the wind tunnels. A few years ago I used a couple to take some measurements. The device where you "hanged" the model was a balance that gave you data which could be converted into drag. Is this the same for this massive wind tunnels or they rely on other systems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back